[SOLVED] Screen glitches when playing games, graphics card fans spin MSi Twin Frozr 7

Oct 31, 2020
I posted recently saying my fans didnt spin, but apparently they do, and I'm still getting glitches on my screen when playing games. It wasn't like that before, I got this pc around 6 months ago probably.

Solution
They don't glitch when running it on windowed, well Overwatch doesn't and I'm reinstalling Destiny 2 and will see about editing this later.
That's interesting, one more thing you can try is reinstalling the drivers.
If you're unsure of how to do this here's a link

Other than that, I have to apologize, but my knowledge on the subject doesn't go far enough to know what else migh be causing the problem, beyond it likely being a software issue.

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
Hi,

Can you describe the glitches?
It would also help if you could state what hardware you are running.

Have you tried the following:
-Using a different video cable
-Using a different video output on your graphics card
-Using a different monitor

The problem is likely in the drivers or the card itself, but it's worth trying these simple things.

Next, I'd check if the graphics drivers are up to date:
If you have an Nvidia GPU you can update them with the Geforce Experience App (https://www.nvidia.com/de-de/geforce/geforce-experience/)
If you have an AMD GPU you can update them with AMD's Radeon Software (the first thing listed under this link: https://www.amd.com/en/support)

Oct 31, 2020
The glitches seem to be mostly horizontal lines/chunks running across the whole monitor. They seem to show different locations of the game I'm currently playing. It happens all throughout Team Fortress 2, in Overwatch, only when holding Tab, Destiny 2 when I have a map open, but never during the gameplay of Overwatch and Destiny 2.

About a different video cable, I have swapped my HDMI cable (if that's what that means) and it did nothing.
About a different output, there is no secondary HDMI port on it
And I have no extra monitor, I suppose I can see about trying to run a game on my drawing tablet I suppose and seeing if it still glitches.

I have downloaded and have updated my Nvidia GPU driver thing, now to test if my screen still glitches
edit hm, updating my driver seemed to have helped Team Fortress 2, but after booting up Overwatch, the glitches were still happening

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2020
Hi,

Can you describe the glitches?
It would also help if you could state what hardware you are running.

Have you tried the following:
-Using a different video cable
-Using a different video output on your graphics card
-Using a different monitor

The problem is likely in the drivers or the card itself, but it's worth trying these simple things.

Next, I'd check if the graphics drivers are up to date:
If you have an Nvidia GPU you can update them with the Geforce Experience App (https://www.nvidia.com/de-de/geforce/geforce-experience/)
If you have an AMD GPU you can update them with AMD's Radeon Software (the first thing listed under this link: https://www.amd.com/en/support)

I believe I replied wrong, so I'll copy paste my previous "reply" into here

The glitches seem to be mostly horizontal lines/chunks running across the whole monitor. They seem to show different locations of the game I'm currently playing. It happens all throughout Team Fortress 2, in Overwatch, only when holding Tab, Destiny 2 when I have a map open, but never during the gameplay of Overwatch and Destiny 2.

About a different video cable, I have swapped my HDMI cable (if that's what that means) and it did nothing.
And I have no extra monitor, I suppose I can see about trying to run a game on my drawing tablet I suppose and seeing if it still glitches.

I have downloaded and have updated my Nvidia GPU driver thing, now to test if my screen still glitches
edit hm, updating my driver seemed to have helped Team Fortress 2, but after booting up Overwatch, the glitches were still happening

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
I believe I replied wrong, so I'll copy paste my previous "reply" into here

Don't worry about trying the other suggestions about the monitor or cable, if you're only seeing the glitches when doing certain things in game, you can pretty much rule out any sort of display issues, as they wouldn't usually be linked this closely to in game actions. Because you've updated the drivers, the problem is likely with your graphics card or game install. Although you have the issue in multiple games, you could try reinstalling a game to see wether that would make any changes.
One more thing you could try is running the games in fullscreen/ fullscreen window to see if that makes any change.
Beyond this I don't have enough knowledge about graphics cards to know what's causing this. If your GPU is still under warranty you could have it repaired/ replaced for an issue like that.

Oct 31, 2020
Don't worry about trying the other suggestions about the monitor or cable, if you're only seeing the glitches when doing certain things in game, you can pretty much rule out any sort of display issues, as they wouldn't usually be linked this closely to in game actions. Because you've updated the drivers, the problem is likely with your graphics card or game install. Although you have the issue in multiple games, you could try reinstalling a game to see wether that would make any changes.
One more thing you could try is running the games in fullscreen/ fullscreen window to see if that makes any change.
Beyond this I don't have enough knowledge about graphics cards to know what's causing this. If your GPU is still under warranty you could have it repaired/ replaced for an issue like that.
They don't glitch when running it on windowed, well Overwatch doesn't and I'm reinstalling Destiny 2 and will see about editing this later.

zaphod2beeble

Reputable
Apr 18, 2017
That's interesting, one more thing you can try is reinstalling the drivers.
If you're unsure of how to do this here's a link

Other than that, I have to apologize, but my knowledge on the subject doesn't go far enough to know what else migh be causing the problem, beyond it likely being a software issue.

Solution