[SOLVED] Screen goes black after GPU Overclock

flyrhulk

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
I was overclocking my GPU and trying to find it's limit. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB, and I was slowly pushing the core clock higher. When I reached 1500mhz it immediately crashed. The screen turned black, AMD Radeon gave a notification saying it had reverted the GPU to its default settings, and then the system restarted. Then when I logged into Win10, everything was black. My desktop image and icons were not there, just darkness. My taskbar was still there, but had no icons. I could press windows button (which I also couldn't see) and other apps that were in the taskbar, and they loaded. The start menu also worked. However, AIDA 64, Hardware Info and MSI Afterburner were just black when I turned them on. I restarted again and the same. Can anyone help me?

Solution
I was overclocking my GPU and trying to find it's limit. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB, and I was slowly pushing the core clock higher. When I reached 1500mhz it immediately crashed. The screen turned black, AMD Radeon gave a notification saying it had reverted the GPU to its default settings, and then the system restarted. Then when I logged into Win10, everything was black. My desktop image and icons were not there, just darkness. My taskbar was still there, but had no icons. I could press windows button (which I also couldn't see) and other apps that were in the taskbar, and they loaded. The start menu also worked. However, AIDA 64, Hardware Info and MSI Afterburner were just black when I turned them on. I restarted again...

flyrhulk

Reputable
Jul 2, 2020
I was overclocking my GPU and trying to find it's limit. I have a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB, and I was slowly pushing the core clock higher. When I reached 1500mhz it immediately crashed. The screen turned black, AMD Radeon gave a notification saying it had reverted the GPU to its default settings, and then the system restarted. Then when I logged into Win10, everything was black. My desktop image and icons were not there, just darkness. My taskbar was still there, but had no icons. I could press windows button (which I also couldn't see) and other apps that were in the taskbar, and they loaded. The start menu also worked. However, AIDA 64, Hardware Info and MSI Afterburner were just black when I turned them on. I restarted again and the same. Can anyone help me?
Solved! Turned out to be an unstable CPU OC. Changed settings in bios and all was good

Solution