Screen goes black and computer gets stuck

ghost11

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I have a Zotac GT220, corsair CX400 PSU.The system is around 4 years old.the problem started a few months back when randomly the screen would go black and sound would stop playing but the system and all fans remain working.Then i will have to do a hard reset.After the hard reset sometimes the system would run fine for another month or more ,but the other times the problem remains even after the reset.The problem is there while playing games,watching youtube videos and even when just surfing the net.

When the problem show up repeatedly i would take out the graphics card and just try cleaning the card and putting it back in and then it would run fine.

Lately the problem has gotten severe and now the system would boot up and reach the desktop and then it goes blank and the problem is not going away even after several tries.The system works just fine with the onboard graphics.

So is it that my card has gone bad or something wrong with my pci-e connector?

Solution
yeah, the fact your onboard graphics work fine, then in order of likelihood, it's probably one of these:
1. GPU has become faulty - if possible try it in another PC to see if the same thing happens
2. PSU is on it's way out and not delivering sufficient voltage at times
3. Mobo is faulty

blockhead78

Distinguished
yeah, the fact your onboard graphics work fine, then in order of likelihood, it's probably one of these:
1. GPU has become faulty - if possible try it in another PC to see if the same thing happens
2. PSU is on it's way out and not delivering sufficient voltage at times
3. Mobo is faulty

Solution

TRENDING THREADS