Question Screen goes black and fan starts blowing very loud

sirmixalot97

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2017
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience or can help me diagnose the issue. My PC is over a year old and worked fine until recently. The issue is that at random times my screen goes instantly black and I hear a VERY LOUD FAN (probably running at maximum speed) coming from my PC until I restart. Everything runs fine after that. GPU and CPU temperatures seem normal when gaming. I can't really reproduce the issue because it doesn't even happen when my system is being pushed to the limit in a game, or even if I game for a long period of time. It seems to happen mostly when I'm alt+tabbed out of a game and web browsing or when I'm not even playing any game at all. I can't figure out which cooler is blowing that loud or if it's all of them. It could honestly be anything from PSU, CPU, GPU. But I have no idea where to even begin to troubleshoot since I don't have any spare parts and I can't even reliably reproduce the issue, since it's so random.
My system specs:
CPU: intel i5 13600K
GPU: Gigabite RTX 4090 Windforce
PSU: Seasonic 850W FOCUS GX Series 80 PLUS gold
Motherboard: Gigabyte B760 DSH3 DDR4
RAM: Kingston FURY Renegade, 32GB DDR4, 3600MHz CL16 Dual channel kit

Lutfij

Titan
How are you cooling that processor? Temps when the issue crops up? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build? Ideally you should've looked at a 1KW unit instead of something lower while running an RTX4090 in your build.

sirmixalot97

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2017
How are you cooling that processor? Temps when the issue crops up? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? How old is the PSU in your build? Ideally you should've looked at a 1KW unit instead of something lower while running an RTX4090 in your build.
It's not the best CPU cooler but it gets the job done. It's one of those cheap Coolermaster Hyper EVO coolers.

I don't think temperatures are an issue, because they are fine whenever I check them during gaming. Both CPU and GPU don't usually go higher than 65 degrees celsius. But honestly I can't tell because I'm not constantly monitoring them when I'm doing random web browsing. Like I said, it seems to happen when I'm not even using my PC that much. Happened today when it was just sitting idle with nothing but discord opened. It never even happened when I was running something more intense.

PSU is 2.5 years old. Originally bought it for the RTX 3080 but never changed it after I upgraded to the 4090, since everything seemed to work just fine. Not sure about the BIOS version. It's the stock version that came with the motherboard. Never updated. Though I don't know if that would be an issue because nothing happened for over a year and I haven't changed anything. This started happening fairly recently.

Last edited: