[SOLVED] Screen goes black but i still hear sound?

Mar 25, 2020
Hello, i have a new pc that i recently built with my buddies. The components are:

Msi Z390 A-Pro
I5 9600k not OC
EVGA 2070 Super Black Gaming
Corsair 650cx 80+ bronze
Trident Z 16gb

So the problem is that when i start playing games, i.e: Modern Warfare, as soon as i hit to play multiplayer it black screens. I still have sound, can still talk and hear in discord, but no picture. Im forced to hard reset the pc everytime. I've uninstalled and reinstalled nvidia drivers, i've reseated the gpu into both slots on the motherboard, i've tried different hdmis and display ports, i've ran settings on the lowest possible, i've ran as admin, i've uninstalled and reinstalled games and their launchers. Nothing has fully worked, when i reinstalled drivers it worked for a few hours then did it again, but when i reseated the gpu into the first slot for the first time i worked for a couple of days and now its back to where i can't play games without crashing anymore. Happens on all games, not just cod.

Solution
Brand new PSUs can and do fail. That has always been true for many devices and products. However, in the race for profit, quality suffers and the situation is overall getting worse.

"Dirty Power": The meaning being, I expect, that there is something (voltage, frequency) wrong with the power source for the computer.

And likewise for the PS4.

Any other signs of power issues in your residence? Do other computers and devices have any problems?

About the only way to resolve or prove that one way or another is to take both the new PC and the PS4 to another location with "better" power.

If you know someone who has a multimeter and knows how to use it, the incoming power can be tested to some extent.

Some additional knowledge may...

Ralston18

Titan
And you tried other known working video cables - correct?

Seems likely that you did so but since that was not explicitly mentioned I am compelled to ask.

Power down, unplug, and open the case. Doublecheck that all cables, cards, RAM, etc. are all fully and firmly in place.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the black screens.

The next possible culprit is that the PSU is not up to the necessary power demands. Either 650 watts is not enough and/or the PSU is defective in some manner.

What else is installed in the new PC?

Are you able to install and test another (hopefully higher wattage) PSU?

Mar 25, 2020

Seems likely that you did so but since that was not explicitly mentioned I am compelled to ask.

Power down, unplug, and open the case. Doublecheck that all cables, cards, RAM, etc. are all fully and firmly in place.

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the black screens.

The next possible culprit is that the PSU is not up to the necessary power demands. Either 650 watts is not enough and/or the PSU is defective in some manner.

Yes, i've tried different working video cables. I only tried reseating the gpu, and i made the 8pin and 6 pin to it were fine, but i didnt check any other cables or parts. The only other parts installed is a hyper 212 cpu cooler, samsung 970 ssd 1tb, and 4 case fans that have rgb if that matters. But i will look in reliability history.

Mar 25, 2020

in reliability history all it showed was windows did not properly shutdown, desktop windows manager stopped working, and that the game i was playing stopped working.

Ralston18

Titan
How old is the PSU? Was it new, reconditioned, or just taken from another computer?

Varying problems/symptoms is, to me, a sign that the PSU may be faltering. Especially failures during games where the power requirements can be peaking at times or just overall at a high level.

However, there can be other reasons.

If you are able to do so, open the case and start checking connections and seatings.

Another weak point could be the drives: what capacity drives are installed and how full are the drives?

Before putting more focus on the PSU per se, the key is to methodically eliminate other possibilities,

Mar 25, 2020
How old is the PSU? Was it new, reconditioned, or just taken from another computer?

Varying problems/symptoms is, to me, a sign that the PSU may be faltering. Especially failures during games where the power requirements can be peaking at times or just overall at a high level.

However, there can be other reasons.

If you are able to do so, open the case and start checking connections and seatings.

Another weak point could be the drives: what capacity drives are installed and how full are the drives?

Before putting more focus on the PSU per se, the key is to methodically eliminate other possibilities,
It's a brand new psu. But quick question, i had a ps4 that also had this same problem. I had the hdmi port repaired by a business here in town, but it did it again and i got back in touch with them. He said there was nothing wrong with the ps4, that it's dirty power. Do you think that could be the problem?

Ralston18

Titan
Brand new PSUs can and do fail. That has always been true for many devices and products. However, in the race for profit, quality suffers and the situation is overall getting worse.

"Dirty Power": The meaning being, I expect, that there is something (voltage, frequency) wrong with the power source for the computer.

And likewise for the PS4.

Any other signs of power issues in your residence? Do other computers and devices have any problems?

About the only way to resolve or prove that one way or another is to take both the new PC and the PS4 to another location with "better" power.

If you know someone who has a multimeter and knows how to use it, the incoming power can be tested to some extent.

Some additional knowledge may prove useful for you:

Links:

https://www.lifewire.com/power-supply-unit-2618158

(Note the last paragraph.)

And if you are seriously interested:

https://www.techspot.com/article/1967-anatomy-psu/

Feel free to google and read more as you deem necessary. Anything you can learn may prove helpful.

Lastly, take another look at the load your computer's components are imposing on the PSU.

Constant, high power demands are detrimental to a PSU. And all the more so if the PSU is marginal to begin with.

Solution