Screen goes black but still have sound.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012
Hello, So few hours ago while playing WOW my PC screens went black but I could still hear noise. I thought maybe it was a crash so I restarted tried playing again and it crashed again. So I thought maybe it was WOW causing it so I tried a bunch of other games, and it crashed instantly on all of them doing the same thing screens go black but can still hear sound. I uninstalled drivers and reseated the card to make sure. reinstalled the drivers and reset my gpu settings back to default. Tried on some games again and it keeps crashing. I hope you all can help me on this. Thanks!

*I forgot to mention my GPU is a EVGA GTX 980TI

*I also did a full driver wipe and registry wipe and reinstalled new non beta drivers again. Tried a different game that I hadn't tried before and it happened again instantly. Only is happening on games.

*Just tried running 3D Mark benchmark and it crashed on it also. Black screen still hear sound.

Solution
Huh, that complicates things somewhat - this is a truly exceptional PSU, so it is probably out of the question that PSU is to blame.

First, check temps of the GPU during gaming. And the CPU at the same time while you're at it ;)

Also, it would be a good idea to test your card in a different rig and try to reproduce the problem. If it persists, the card itself might be the issue.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Its a Seasonic 850, Cant get you a good picture of it but ill link the PSU to you. No overclocks on CPU or GPU other then what comes from factory. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... bought it in 2013. My PC operates fine until I try to run a game or anything 3D intensive. I can surf the web or watch twitch no probs.

Huh, that complicates things somewhat - this is a truly exceptional PSU, so it is probably out of the question that PSU is to blame.

First, check temps of the GPU during gaming. And the CPU at the same time while you're at it ;)

Also, it would be a good idea to test your card in a different rig and try to reproduce the problem. If it persists, the card itself might be the issue.

Solution

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Yea that PSU has been amazing, never gave me a issue. I can't even run a game to see the temps it instant crashes to black screen. Now before it started instant crashing when their were gaps between the crashes earlier today I watched the temps and it never got over 80C at full load. usually was sub 70C. I contacted EVGA about it. its under warranty so hopefully they will replace it for me.

ridd21

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2012

Yea I know they got a option where I pay full price for a new one then they send me the new one and I send back the broke one then they refund me the money once it comes in that I paid for the new one. Not sure if that's the best option or not.