Screen goes black, fans go loud, then PC restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Hi guys, I've had this issue on and off for a year, however suddenly the problem came back about a week ago. I could be sitting on my computer, browsing the web, or playing a game, and suddenly I will hear my fans go loud, my screen will turn black, and then the fans will go normal again and the PC will restart. Sometimes it happens 3 times in a row, and then nothing until the next day. It seems to be quite random.
Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
You need to be a little more specific with your hardware but based on your OP I'm guessing the graphics card is dying. I has a similar issue with the same circumstances - it went away for an unknown reason, then came back and a few days later the card died.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K
PSU: Corsair CXM 600W Modular 80 Plus
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)
GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 770
MoBo: Gigabyte Z87-HD3 Motherboard Socket 1150

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

I've only had my GPU for about a year and half, so I would be surprised to see my GPU die. Also, I used to have this problem ages ago, then it seemed to go away. Back now though

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
i had my 980 ti a week before it died. Sometime bad things just happen. Make sure all your cards/cables are seated properly. Also if you are using a GPU monitor with a fan profile like Afterburner or Precision X double check your profiles and turn on logging. You may be able to spot an issue if it is the graphics card.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014

I've had the PSU for a year and a half now, how can I check if the PSU is the problem? And what PSU is good for £50-£100?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Surprised it lasted that long.

Its hard to test PSU's its more like if you see a problem thats probably it.

An EVGA 550 GS or G2 should do the job for you, or the XFX TS 550, there may be an XFX TS 650 as well. Seasonic is good too, the Seasonic SII 520 is excellent.

EdwardBu

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I have ran RAM tests, and my RAM passed. I ran some CPU tests, and my CPU has seemed to passed. I checked the logs on MSI Afterburner for my Graphics Card, and I don't think that there is anything wrong with it. The next option to check would be if my PSU was dodgy, however, how would I check if my PSU was faulty? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

If everything else passed the tests, the PSU is likely the culprit.

The only way to really test a PSU would be to maybe run a benchmark like 3D Mark and see if it crashes, but TBH everything you're saying points to a bad PSU.

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

To test the PSU you would need a multi meter.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

8496997939_3594617d5d.jpg

This post is nearly 3 years old. I would say by now the person either figured it out or gave up. Do not necro old threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS