Question Screen goes black for 1 second shortly after login (no crash)

Feb 9, 2021
Recently built a system and have been having this strange problem since day 1.

Roughly 3-6 minutes after I login, the screen will go black for about 1 second. This is not a crash, everything continues as normal and when the picture resumes there are no crash reports (nothing saying the display driver crashed).

After this, the screen will not go black again unless I reboot or the computer wakes from sleep. Nothing seems to trigger this, it happens at complete random, usually while I am browsing the web. Neither the CPU nor GPU are overclocked. Gaming performance is normal, including at 165Hz. No CPU or GPU spikes reported in any monitoring software.

I have looked in the event viewer, nothing is reported when the black screen happens. The monitor does not report a lost connection (usually it will say "Displayport signal not found").

So far to fix this I have tried doing a clean install of my GPU driver including resetting all Nvidia control panel settings, using a different displayport cable, and using a different output slot on the GPU. Nothing has fixed the problem. I have previously run the monitor via HDMI from a laptop with no issues, though only at 144Hz because that is all it supports.

My only guess is that the GPU is performing some operation shortly after I log in that it fails to complete, since this behavior is perfectly consistent every time I boot up. It could also be the monitor itself, but after this happens nothing seems to change (it does not change resolution or refresh rate). I do not think it's a PSU issue because I can run full throttle while gaming. So basically I'm totally stumped. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I am using the following parts:
GPU: PNY RTX 2080 Super (bought used, about 1 year old according to the seller)
Display: Asus VG27AQ 165Hz (<6months old)
PSU: Seasonic Focus PX 850W (brand new)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Feb 9, 2021
You may be onto something, but of course it's never that easy.

I did a completely clean boot and the thing didn't happen. I then re-enabled the boot processes a few at a time between restarts and I was still in the clear. But then I made it all the way back to having everything enabled... and it didn't happen. I knew this was too good to be true so I turned off my PC to go run some errands. When I got back (everything still enabled) it went black a few minutes after startup again. This may turn into a multiple day endeavor, since obviously some things are staying warm enough between restarts to not trigger the problem again.

I have no confirmation that doing a clean boot helped because everything after the first restart was fine. I will fiddle with it for a few days to see if I can get a consistent fix.

But once I figure out the problem, what's the next step? Leave it disabled? Reinstall that particular thing?

Colif

Win 11 Master
there is no rush, take your time figuring out which it is. Maybe even leave it completely clean for a few days to make sure it doesn't happen and then add 1 per day.

well, depends on what cause is. Might be an update, might not really be essential to run at starrtup. I have culled mine recently as it isn't hard to load some of them after start if I need them. Some like steam want to auto update games on launch, that isn't really needed.

Feb 9, 2021
So bad news, clean booting does not help the problem at all. I even tried booting into safe mode and the problem still persists, though it takes longer to happen (about 16 minutes both times I tested it) and this time the screen goes black and stays black, showing "Displayport signal not found" on my monitor. The computer stays on, but I can't see anything.

Weird thing is though, this problem still only happens on the first boot (or wake from sleep). I restarted back into safe mode soon after the first black screen occurred, and it did not happen again.

Judging by this behavior, it's probably a GPU thing right? Maybe safe mode doesnt have enough going on to address the error and fix the black screen like it does in normal mode? I really don't know. Again, any further help is appreciated!

Dawis67_AE

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I have also been having the same problem, altho it appeared after i moved. Currently im having much bigger problems, as i cannot get past the boot windows on motherboard, but its probably something else. What motherboard are you using?

Feb 9, 2021
I have also been having the same problem, altho it appeared after i moved. Currently im having much bigger problems, as i cannot get past the boot windows on motherboard, but its probably something else. What motherboard are you using?
Using an X570 Aorus Pro. Maybe I should re-seat the GPU?

Edit: Tried re-seating the GPU today, did not help.

Last edited: