[SOLVED] Screen goes black for a few seconds when playing games.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YoshiAbyss

Prominent
Aug 27, 2020
One of my monitors goes black for a few seconds and then comes back, I notice it's only the one I'm playing games on. I can still hear audio but the screen is black. This happens usually only every five minutes or so, but sometimes can happen over and over within the span of 30 seconds. I got a new monitor recently to combat this, however the issue persists. I've seen a few threads saying it could be the cable or a wifi card, but I got a new DP cable with my monitor and I use ethernet only. Another issue that has popped up only recently is strange graphical glitches, strips of mostly white, but a few red green or blue, scattered pixels show up sometimes, could this be related? Please help me! It gets very frustrating trying to play games when I can't see half the time!
Here is a link to my most recent benchmark https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/49308424

natcha12

Honorable
Sep 1, 2015
I guess everybody missed this.

Base clock 3.6 GHz, turbo 1.45 GHz (avg)

EDIT not the cause of the monitor issue but a big problem.

Damn dude, what did you do here OP 😱
Do you have custom clocks setup or altered voltages?

I've accidentally set my old 2ghz laptop to only 1 before and let me tell you, it sucked bad for a week.

YoshiAbyss

Prominent
Aug 27, 2020

I've accidentally set my old 2ghz laptop to only 1 before and let me tell you, it sucked bad for a week.

I don't recall doing anything! The only time I might've changed something was when I used to have issues with graphics when I overclocked the gpu, but I was pretty sure I reset it to normal. Did I do it wrong maybe? How would I fix this?

PSUs are always specced with the total wattage, not only the 12v rail, but also the 5v, 3.3v etc added up.
Adding all the voltages, that supply does indeed supply 850, slightly over in fact.

Your GPU cannot be at 32'c and be running the rendering benchmark I think. We need to see the stats SS while it's going.

Power supplies are rated by their 12v rail . We'll look at my PSU EVGA 1600w G2 +3.3V@24A= 79.2w , +5V@24A= 120w , +12V@133.3A = 1599.6w for a grand total of 1798.8w. Another one the Corsair RM 750x +3.3V@25A= 82.5w , +5V@25A= 125w , +12V@62.5A= 750w grand total 957.5w Ether EVGA and Corsair are lying about the wattage of there units, the rating of the amps on their rail, or they are rated by their 12v rail. Look at any know PSU, evga, corsair, super flower, sea sonic, xfx, be quiet take its 12v times the amps and i comes within a watt of what its rated at.

YoshiAbyss

Prominent
Aug 27, 2020
core tjmax always at max on report but core is in specs on readings also gpu fan run at 35 % for a speed of 2079 rpm so have this one check in another system if result are good would suspect board issue you have latest bios on it .

Sorry, I don't really understand what you mean. I should test another gpu in my system? But if not it might be a board problem, is that it?

YoshiAbyss

Prominent
Aug 27, 2020

I still don't understand what this means. Should I find a way to turn up my clock to meet 3.6 GHz or should it be lower?