[SOLVED] Screen goes black for a sec and comesback

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Guys,

So , I got a wierd problem,like I always do.

You can find my specs in signature.

I only recently built the PC.

Just to clarify, Monitor has freesync and I am running gsync via DP.

So, only when playing games and locking the fps so that my gpu usage is low does this happen.

I first noticed when playing siege as I have the game locked at 72 fps forcing the GPU to stay around 50 % usage. onyl rarely it happened.

Then I lock fps at 45 on origins to see if low gpu usage was the real reason for random 1 sec black screens. low and behold it is the reason apparently.

Never happened when browing or watching videos, playing origins locked at 72 fps, it never happened.

Running Unigine forever, never happened.

GPU with or without overlock doesn't change a thing.

Things ruled out, it is not the monitor, I had to replace my first piece for a different issue. This issue was there in the first piece as well.

Doesn't seem to be the GPU as I recorded the origins gameplay with shadowplay and the blackscreen is not in the video.

I am leaning towards the DP cable being the culprit, but why would it happen only when the GPU is underutilized if its the cable, too wierd.

DDU ran, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. nothing's helped so far.

Could it just be Windows throwing a tantrum as the installation was an image the store(store where the pc was built) had on a pendrive, it seems to have been a cloned image from a different pc.

Can you guys help, any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:
No, I'm not saying that that part isn't working. Obviously, the part of the card and other hardware necessary for the game to be played IS working. What I'm saying is, that SOMETIMES it is POSSIBLE for all of that to work, but for there to be a problem with some part of the graphics card that is PAST that point in the food chain, between render and output. Possible, not necessarily IS what is happening, in your case.

I'm sure you're right and it's simply some quirk of G-sync that doesn't like your hardware configuration. Obviously, you're not the first or only person this has happened to.

Few additional things you can try, that I've noticed issues with on my LG Freesync display.

In the display settings, try turning OFF the 1MS motion blur reduction setting.

Also, you've seen this thread yes?

So potentially it's a problem relevant to G-sync, but have you noticed that it corresponds to any specific drop in frame/refresh rates? If so, perhaps dropping a setting or two down a notch might prevent FPS from dropping too low, and potentially help stop that from happening. Just a thought.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
No, I'm not saying that that part isn't working. Obviously, the part of the card and other hardware necessary for the game to be played IS working. What I'm saying is, that SOMETIMES it is POSSIBLE for all of that to work, but for there to be a problem with some part of the graphics card that is PAST that point in the food chain, between render and output. Possible, not necessarily IS what is happening, in your case.

I'm sure you're right and it's simply some quirk of G-sync that doesn't like your hardware configuration. Obviously, you're not the first or only person this has happened to.

Few additional things you can try, that I've noticed issues with on my LG Freesync display.

In the display settings, try turning OFF the 1MS motion blur reduction setting.

Also, you've seen this thread yes?

So potentially it's a problem relevant to G-sync, but have you noticed that it corresponds to any specific drop in frame/refresh rates? If so, perhaps dropping a setting or two down a notch might prevent FPS from dropping too low, and potentially help stop that from happening. Just a thought.

Nvm, forget the previous comment, I see what you are saying(my inputs are end of day not sent to the monitor, so the gpu could potentially take the inputs, render frames accordingly and not be able to send to the monitor but to the recording pipeline, yeah?) (but then the montior would lose signal, that is not happening here(this blackscreen flicker seems to be prevalent and more importantly one of the things people with not officialy gsync supported freesync displays may face, par for the course then) learnt a new thing today.

And, I've not seen that thread, will look at it., And no it doesn't seem to be related to fps at all, (in sieg it happens at constant 72 fps and in origins it only happens when I lock fps to 45 to bring the gpu usage down to the same level as siege at 72 fps), actually like I said this only happens when the GPU is realtively chlling at below 60% usage, pegging the GPU at over 70 % in games or benchmarking with 100% gpu usage for any amount of time(this may not be related, coz I benchmark in windowed mode and gsync shouldn't kick in there), this doeesn't happen. Thankfully, I am able to reproduce it within 10 minutes if I want to, given the conditions. So, I can tell, which scenarios are not affected.

My first build, a similar issue took months for me to work around, see the below thread, you wouldn't beleive.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/sapphire-r7-260x-black-screen.1763762/ , but this was far more annoying as that locked the pc with blackscreen.

And, the motion blur reduction is turned off, it is greyed out if I turn freesync on. Unlike the other member who said he doesn't like gsync, I kinda love it, the reason I am digging this deep to work around its quirks.

Will see if formatting the drive and reinstalling windows puts an end to this.

And I would think if the subsystem sending signal to the monitor was faulty, no matter the port the monitor is receiving signal from, it should happen anytime the computer is being worked on and not only when playing games, yeah? just for clarification.

And it only happens when gsync is on, now with nvidia inspector i am able to reproduce the issue even wihtin vlc player in fulscreen if I fiddle with the per app gsync settings there. Only if I disallow gsync for those apps the gsync quirks are going away.

Last edited:
Yes, but IF it doesn't actually LOSE the signal, but merely has a PROBLEM with the signal, then you could not get a lost signal error but still temporarily get a black screen. Generally when you lose signal and get that error, much as when you put your system to sleep, it takes three or four seconds before that message is displayed on your screen. IF the problem is resolved in two seconds, then you could get a situation where for one or two seconds there is no output but also no loss of signal input error either.

Again, not saying that IS your situation, only that it is possible.

Definitely a weird problem, but if anybody can figure it out I think I know somebody who might be able to and I'm going to invite him to this thread to see if he might have an idea because he's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to displays and monitor technology.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, but IF it doesn't actually LOSE the signal, but merely has a PROBLEM with the signal, then you could not get a lost signal error but still temporarily get a black screen. Generally when you lose signal and get that error, much as when you put your system to sleep, it takes three or four seconds before that message is displayed on your screen. IF the problem is resolved in two seconds, then you could get a situation where for one or two seconds there is no output but also no loss of signal input error either.

Again, not saying that IS your situation, only that it is possible.

Definitely a weird problem, but if anybody can figure it out I think I know somebody who might be able to and I'm going to invite him to this thread to see if he might have an idea because he's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to displays and monitor technology.

Got you, yes anyone who can offer more insight. Actually, I wouldn't even call it a sec, it happens in a flash, even a second is exagerating, I will post a video,wait. from vlc.

Actually, the flash I see when turning gsync on/off in nvcp is longer.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Got you, yes anyone who can offer more insight. Actually, I wouldn't even call it a sec, it happens in a flash, even a second is exagerating, I will post a video,wait. from vlc.

Actually, the flash I see when turning gsync on/off in nvcp is longer.
Here you go, samething happens when in game, here I can reproduce much more easliy, it is sporadic in game, also, this is only reproducable so easiy if I put gsync - Application mode to fullscreen only and gsync application state to fixed refresh rate in nvidia inspector.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH7C1MML8AM

happens when I switch in and out of fullscreen.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Update - turns out it was a gsync issue with that monitor, had to change the monitor for a different reason, got an acer vg240yp, no black screens with gsync turned on all the time, i had to reinstall GeForce drivers to get rid of the fullscreen tearing issued outside gaming though.

For reference old monitor was lg24mp59g

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Well, I'm glad you got it figured out anyhow man. Sorry that I wasn't able to be more helpful and that the help I had hoped for never arrived. Sometimes it feels like it's really just a handful of us out here on an island by ourselves. LOL.

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. All good, Thank you for all the efforts man.

Even I used to be sort of active on tomshardware years back.