[SOLVED] Screen goes black for a sec and comesback

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hi Guys,

So , I got a wierd problem,like I always do.

You can find my specs in signature.

I only recently built the PC.

Just to clarify, Monitor has freesync and I am running gsync via DP.

So, only when playing games and locking the fps so that my gpu usage is low does this happen.

I first noticed when playing siege as I have the game locked at 72 fps forcing the GPU to stay around 50 % usage. onyl rarely it happened.

Then I lock fps at 45 on origins to see if low gpu usage was the real reason for random 1 sec black screens. low and behold it is the reason apparently.

Never happened when browing or watching videos, playing origins locked at 72 fps, it never happened.

Running Unigine forever, never happened.

GPU with or without overlock doesn't change a thing.

Things ruled out, it is not the monitor, I had to replace my first piece for a different issue. This issue was there in the first piece as well.

Doesn't seem to be the GPU as I recorded the origins gameplay with shadowplay and the blackscreen is not in the video.

I am leaning towards the DP cable being the culprit, but why would it happen only when the GPU is underutilized if its the cable, too wierd.

DDU ran, uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. nothing's helped so far.

Could it just be Windows throwing a tantrum as the installation was an image the store(store where the pc was built) had on a pendrive, it seems to have been a cloned image from a different pc.

Can you guys help, any assistance is appreciated.

Last edited:
First suspect should be that MWE 550w power supply. Those are fairly low quality, even for a budget unit, and although your 1660 ti really only needs to see a steady 430w sustained capacity, we've just seen way too many problems with these MWE units.

Barring that, and no matter whether it IS the issue or not, I'd highly recommend that you make it a point to look into a better PSU model if you like your hardware and would like to see it last a decent length of time since most lesser quality units tend to have issues with high ripple or poor voltage regulation, both of which tend to destroy graphics card and motherboard capacitors rather quickly and by quickly I mean inside of two or three years. Not a very good run for 500 dollars worth of motherboard and graphics card, it could very well be a Windows issue.

Since you have not done so already, it might be a good idea to at least TRY a clean install of Windows yourself. If nothing else, you can rule it out.

Also, the VERY FIRST thing you should do is check to see whether there is a newer motherboard BIOS version installed. I've seen hundreds of problems like yours get instantly resolved by updating the BIOS, so check for a newer BIOS version. In fact, I've seen three or four instances of the B450 Tomahawk/Max, lately, where a BIOS update resolved a few different GPU card related issues.

My guide will walk you through the entire process step by step. Follow it exactly, or at least as closely as possible including disconnecting ALL secondary storage devices except the one you are installing from and the primary drive you are installing TO, during installation.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
First suspect should be that MWE 550w power supply. Those are fairly low quality, even for a budget unit, and although your 1660 ti really only needs to see a steady 430w sustained capacity, we've just seen way too many problems with these MWE units.

Barring that, and no matter whether it IS the issue or not, I'd highly recommend that you make it a point to look into a better PSU model if you like your hardware and would like to see it last a decent length of time since most lesser quality units tend to have issues with high ripple or poor voltage regulation, both of which tend to destroy graphics card and motherboard capacitors rather quickly and by quickly I mean inside of two or three years. Not a very good run for 500 dollars worth of motherboard and graphics card, it could very well be a Windows issue.

Since you have not done so already, it might be a good idea to at least TRY a clean install of Windows yourself. If nothing else, you can rule it out.

Also, the VERY FIRST thing you should do is check to see whether there is a newer motherboard BIOS version installed. I've seen hundreds of problems like yours get instantly resolved by updating the BIOS, so check for a newer BIOS version. In fact, I've seen three or four instances of the B450 Tomahawk/Max, lately, where a BIOS update resolved a few different GPU card related issues.

My guide will walk you through the entire process step by step. Follow it exactly, or at least as closely as possible including disconnecting ALL secondary storage devices except the one you are installing from and the primary drive you are installing TO, during installation.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I will look into the windows 10 reinstall.

Also, the BIOS is the newest version.

Two things about the PSU, firstly this MWE is version 2 and comes with sleeved cables and all that, and the 12v rail from what I observed seems to be fairly close to 12v and doesn't fluctuae much, compared to the previous unit a corsair vs450 which I ran for 5 + years which is considered even worse.

And from what I have been able to gather on the internet, MWE lite and white versions are the worse ones and version 2 is fairly decent for budget builds.

And also, if the smps is the issue how did the shadowplay recording not show the black screen?

Also, I got the SMPS here for arounf $ 60, which isn't very cheap here and there are cheaper options, I went with this to be safe and can't afford to just like that change it on a hunch seeing as the vs450 considered a bad unit worked without a hitch for 5 + years for me and my friends who are also running it.

I did not go with the vs550 eventhough the 450 served me well is because I did not want to cheap out on the psu, now if even this is a problem we are running out of options here in India, only prevelant PSU brands here are corsair, antec and cm.

Please note that there are different MWE models. Mine is the 80+ bronze certified version and version 2 in that too.

I am guessing this is not the same low end MWE lite and white ones you are reffering to.

In the PSU Tier this series is on Tier B along with EVGA B2s and Corsair CXMs and the older MWEs are a tier below. The version 2 are apparently better and good for single GPU setups and anything above is gold rated and way too expensive in India, If I go only for PSUs above this tier most are not made in India except for Corsair RMs. Honestly, those I can't afford at the moment and are way too expensive for a mid range build.

Please check below link for pictures of the psu box

View: https://imgur.com/a/ysZkWN7

Last edited:
And from what I have been able to gather on the internet, MWE lite and white versions are the worse ones and version 2 is fairly decent for budget builds.

Actually, it's really not. These are the group of guys, out of practically the entire internet, who know what they are talking about. Most of them are the local or general experts for their regions and in most cases are reviewers of some kind, with others of the core group including Mask and Stephen Payne being extensively knowledgeable in the area of power supply platforms and even units we generally talk down due to it's quality, they may not, because we are generally talking about fitness for use in a consistently high draw gaming system and they are typically talking about general usage. So for them to say a unit is not worthwhile, practically always means that even for it's price bracket it probably sucks and there are better choices.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/sho...E-Bronze-series-available&p=143844#post143844

I am not referring to lite or white versions. I am referring to the Bronze MWE as seen in that thread.

That PSU tier list, arguably, is about the least accurate version of a PSU tier list that I have ever seen. It is laughable, at best.

If you want to find a quality unit, read this, which is NOT a tier list but only a list of recommendations for units that are at least decent and in most cases fairly or very good.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Actually, it's really not. These are the group of guys, out of practically the entire internet, who know what they are talking about. Most of them are the local or general experts for their regions and in most cases are reviewers of some kind, with others of the core group including Mask and Stephen Payne being extensively knowledgeable in the area of power supply platforms and even units we generally talk down due to it's quality, they may not, because we are generally talking about fitness for use in a consistently high draw gaming system and they are typically talking about general usage. So for them to say a unit is not worthwhile, practically always means that even for it's price bracket it probably sucks and there are better choices.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/sho...E-Bronze-series-available&p=143844#post143844

I am not referring to lite or white versions. I am referring to the Bronze MWE as seen in that thread.

That PSU tier list, arguably, is about the least accurate version of a PSU tier list that I have ever seen. It is laughable, at best.

If you want to find a quality unit, read this, which is NOT a tier list but only a list of recommendations for units that are at least decent and in most cases fairly or very good.

Hi,

Thank you for the response.

I have looked at the first thread you linked there long back and that is from 2017 and v2 was released recently and you really cannot find any info on that in Johnnyguru, I tried.

Regardless, most other units they are recommending are not available here in India, so that is a bust.

Also, I am personally not convinced very much with any PSU tier list as I have used a vs450 for a long time and my friends are also using without a trouble.

Unless, there is a solid evidence suggesting that the PSU is a problem I am not going to bother, as it stands, I am not convinced the PSU could be a problem, can you tell why you think it is the issue in this scenario apart from the fact that the series is looked down upon.

Because, the issue doesn't appear under full load and only when the gpu is relatively chilling and also the fact that I recorded and the whole game play was recorded without the blackscreen, meaning the gpu is rendering as it should, but the Monitor's flashing a black screen for a moment.

Like I said, the smps scene here is quite different, you do not have many options apart form Antec cm and corsair, you gotta go out of your way to even find seasonics here, a very famous PSU manufacturer elsewhere.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

And they say its good and better than the previous ones, that is enough for me at the moment, please don't take this the wrong way, but can we move on to the issue at hand. I don't think we are going anywhere speculating on the psu without any symptom saying it could the issue.

Below is the quote form Mask on that thread for v2 MWE.

"Well I wouldn't said on forehand that the CX450 is better than a MWE Bronze V2 450W. The MWE Bronze V2 450W has one huge advantage, the second PEG connector. You can actually use it as a 450W PSU. The CX450 competes more with other 350W power supplies, which most of the time also have a single PEG connector.

A PSU like this is something I recommend for RX 580 and GTX 1660 Ti and older mainstream or higher end graphics cards. Some of those cards need that second PEG connector, which the CX450 lacks."

And I am running a 1660ti, that settles it unless you see something from the behaviour whihc would suggest it is the PSU.

And I am sorry, I forgot about that thread, I saw that sometime back and didn't read that enough and forgot then.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
maybe the monitor is not compatible to adaptive gsync or your FPS lock is not that good
https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-turn-your-freesync-monitor-into-a-g-sync-monitor

Hey,

Thank you for the response man, I will try without gsync once, the monitor is not officially gsync compatible, but various sources on the internet say it is stable.

check link below from rtings.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/24mp59g-p

But, it is happening only when gpu load is relatively low. So, I don't think gsync is the issue, if I artificially increase the gpu load by playing higher resolutions and have the fps fluctuate between 40 and 60 it doesn't happen since the gpu is pegged.

Will try 3 things now after going home from work, without gsync, change dp cable and win 10 reinstall.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hey,

Just came back home, tried disabling and re enabling gsync, the blackscreen you get when applying the changes in nvidia control panel is awfully similar is timeframe and behaviour to what happened in game.

Tyrvidar

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
Hey,

Thank you for the response man, I will try without gsync once, the monitor is not officially gsync compatible, but various sources on the internet say it is stable.

check link below from rtings.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/24mp59g-p

But, it is happening only when gpu load is relatively low. So, I don't think gsync is the issue, if I artificially increase the gpu load by playing higher resolutions and have the fps fluctuate between 40 and 60 it doesn't happen since the gpu is pegged.

Will try 3 things now after going home from work, without gsync, change dp cable and win 10 reinstall.

Yep disable the Freesync/Gsync stuff, play some games... let us know. If it's table after that, I have a feeling you're not going to have any luck getting that to work.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Yep disable the Freesync/Gsync stuff, play some games... let us know. If it's table after that, I have a feeling you're not going to have any luck getting that to work.

Sadly, gsync seems to be the culprit(played for quite a while without it with middling gpu usage, no black screen flicker) , but it only happens coupled with gpu usage below 60%(doesn't make sense,I know but the monitor is not officially gsync compatible, bound to be quirky(not a huge deal)), tried ddu again and reinstalling drivers,no go, will later do a clean windows 10 installation for good measure.

Can only hope drivers eventually fix it, anyway shouldn't be a problem, I can make sure the gpu usage doesn't fall below 65 % by either cranking settings up in less demanding games or increasing the resolution a little bit.

Still running gsync now, origins with gpu over 70 % at all times(coz the fps is locked at 72 instead of 45 which I did to test and make sure it is definetly caused by low gpu usage, played at 72 fps for more than 23 hours without the black flicker even once, only happens in siege where the gpu usage is low(only rarely too), can work around that, np.

Thank you all. will update after win 10 reinstall if that helps.

24MP59G

It works fine in the 41-60 range. 40 causes issues.

https://www.esportstales.com/tech-t...patible-freesync-monitors-tested-by-community

Regardless, it is likely the monitor or a setting is the problem.

If you have not already, I would run the DDU and install a fresh copy of the MOST recent Nvidia driver for your card. Better G-sync compatibility and support for more models were added in the last round of drivers IIRC. Might help. Also, if you have not already, you might DISABLE vsync IN GAMES but leave it enabled in the Nvidia control panel. In many cases that corrects similar problems with G-sync.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
24MP59G

It works fine in the 41-60 range. 40 causes issues.

https://www.esportstales.com/tech-t...patible-freesync-monitors-tested-by-community

Regardless, it is likely the monitor or a setting is the problem.

If you have not already, I would run the DDU and install a fresh copy of the MOST recent Nvidia driver for your card. Better G-sync compatibility and support for more models were added in the last round of drivers IIRC. Might help. Also, if you have not already, you might DISABLE vsync IN GAMES but leave it enabled in the Nvidia control panel. In many cases that corrects similar problems with G-sync.

Yeap, thanks. Gsync itself seems to be working alright, coupled with below 60 % gpu usage seems to cause the problem, ran origins like I said for over 20 hrs at 72 fps without a problem, also increased res modifier in game to make the fps fluctuate between 40 and 72 to get a sense of gsync, worked fine as the gpu usage was High.

Did ddu again and installed recent driver from nvidia, still blackscreen flicker appeared.

And yes vsync in all my games are disabled and forced through nvcp along with gsync.

Hopefully it will get sorted with upcoming drivers, can't tell if its the monitor itself since it happened in the previous piece I had as well, same model, had to replace for deadpixels.

Looks like some setting is botched even, perhaps a clean win 10 install will fix it.

Also in the link you posted, look at the comment for 27 inch version of the same model, user said sporadic 2-3 sec blackscreen in loading screen, maybe same issue as loading screens usually have middling gpu usage.

Even I would not have ever thought to dig this deep if i didn't play siege locked at 72 fps, that is what made me think it could be coz of low gpu usage.

Last edited:
I agree. If ANY model that is similar shows an issue, then it's possible for sibling models to have the same issue even if not all users reported it. Reporting isn't always 100% accurate by the community.

Definitely possible to be the monitor itself. Are you using HDMI or DP? I assume you're using DP, but you never know.

Tyrvidar

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003
Sadly, gsync seems to be the culprit(played for quite a while without it with middling gpu usage, no black screen flicker) , but it only happens coupled with gpu usage below 60%(doesn't make sense,I know but the monitor is not officially gsync compatible, bound to be quirky(not a huge deal)), tried ddu again and reinstalling drivers,no go, will later do a clean windows 10 installation for good measure.

Can only hope drivers eventually fix it, anyway shouldn't be a problem, I can make sure the gpu usage doesn't fall below 65 % by either cranking settings up in less demanding games or increasing the resolution a little bit.

Still running gsync now, origins with gpu over 70 % at all times(coz the fps is locked at 72 instead of 45 which I did to test and make sure it is definetly caused by low gpu usage, played at 72 fps for more than 23 hours without the black flicker even once, only happens in siege where the gpu usage is low(only rarely too), can work around that, np.

Thank you all. will update after win 10 reinstall if that helps.
Don't feel bad man, I have the same problem with my
Acer XG270HU

:( But to be honest, Freesync/Gsync kinda gives me motion sickness anyways. All good! Game on!

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
I agree. If ANY model that is similar shows an issue, then it's possible for sibling models to have the same issue even if not all users reported it. Reporting isn't always 100% accurate by the community.

Definitely possible to be the monitor itself. Are you using HDMI or DP? I assume you're using DP, but you never know.

Yes, DP cable, gync on freesync monitor doesn't work over hdmi, well, anyway wat can we do, not a real annoyance, in most games it is not goign to happen as te gpu is more or less going to be pegged, in less demanding games I can usign DSR or something to artificially increase the gpu load I guess

Yes, DP cable, gync on freesync monitor doesn't work over hdmi, well, anyway wat can we do, not a real annoyance, in most games it is not goign to happen as te gpu is more or less going to be pegged, in less demanding games I can usign DSR or something to artificially increase the gpu load I guess

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

yeah I read that too and was exited for a bit, but sadly it seems to only be coming for gsync displays, and will help AMD Gpus utilize VRR on gsync displays over hdmi. But mine is a freesync display, freesync will work over hdmi but for gsync, as it stands I can only enable when connected using DP and there is no update on whether they will enable VRR(gsync) over hdmi for freesync displays too. will be great if they do, fingers crossed.

I really appreciate the time you are putting in to help me here. Thank you.

will be on the lookout for more news.

Last edited:

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Hey Guys,
yeah I read that too and was exited for a bit, but sadly it seems to only be coming for gsync displays, and will help AMD Gpus utilize VRR on gsync displays over hdmi. But mine is a freesync display, freesync will work over hdmi but for gsync, as it stands I can only enable when connected using DP and there is no update on whether they will enable VRR(gsync) over hdmi for freesync displays too. will be great if they do, fingers crossed.

I really appreciate the time you are putting in to help me here. Thank you.

will be on the lookout for more news.

Hey guys,

I seems to have messed some setting up further with all the dduing and reinstalling drivers, turning gsync on/off and all that.

Suddenly fullscreen videos in firefox is screentearing, this happened initially when I turned gsync on with new pc but restricting gsync to only fullscreen solved it.

Now it has comeback and guess what blackscreen flicker along with it when watching videos fullscreen on firefox.

disabled a webrenderer setting in the about:config seems to have fixed both tearing and flicker at the moment.

Guess I will reinstall Win 10 when I get the time and see if that solves the entire thing. It very much looks like a setting issue.

If a clean install of Windows, and it NEEDS to be a clean install, with ALL partitions deleted from the target drive to ensure there is nothing remaining of the old C: partition OR the EFI and boot manager partitions, so that you are starting on a completely clean slate AND it would not hurt to also do a hard reset of the BIOS so that those settings are all fresh as well, followed by immediately installing all of the relevant drivers from the CPU manufacturer (Chipset drivers) and motherboard product pages as well as the latest GPU manufacturer driver package.

If that fails to cure the issue, then I'd start suspecting this to be a faulty graphics card OR power supply as I originally suggested.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
If a clean install of Windows, and it NEEDS to be a clean install, with ALL partitions deleted from the target drive to ensure there is nothing remaining of the old C: partition OR the EFI and boot manager partitions, so that you are starting on a completely clean slate AND it would not hurt to also do a hard reset of the BIOS so that those settings are all fresh as well, followed by immediately installing all of the relevant drivers from the CPU manufacturer (Chipset drivers) and motherboard product pages as well as the latest GPU manufacturer driver package.

If that fails to cure the issue, then I'd start suspecting this to be a faulty graphics card OR power supply as I originally suggested.
Hey,

Will do that, if that doesn't work I will settle this as gsync quirk as many people seem to have , I don't know how that would mean the gpu or psu is faulty as this only happens with gsync on. And shadowplay is recording the screen and gameplay without the blackscreen when this happens.

I know my replies are long, I am trying to narrow it down and you are going to square one, are you even reading my long replies, lol.

Again, on firefox it stopped after the webrender setting was disabled or gsync was turned off, why are you still going back to the psu or gpu since those are already ruled out.

Please understand it is just the monitor flashing a blackscreen for a second and not the computer failing to send signal to the monitor as evident from the recording properly capturing the gameplay or whatever is happening in the screen at the time.

Logical conclusion would be gsync or dp cable as monitor can also be ruled out since it doesn't happen without gsync on in nvidia control panel even if freesync is turned on in the monitor. Not to mention this is the second piece of ths same model I have had this issue on.

And on firefox, it only happened when videos were playing in fullscreen with hardware acceleration enabled, now that also has stopped after disabling the webrender thing, gsync turned on somehow affects fullscreen videos on firefox, you can find lot of information on this with a google search,. That coupled with gsync being glitchy with low gpu usage in this monitor caused the black flash, anyway now that is solved, we are back to gsync being the issue.

And also, the blackscreen behaviour is very similar to the blackscreen which you get when turning gsync on/off and applying changes in nvidia control panel

Last edited:
Ok, so yeah, that is totally not what I thought. I was thinking it was stopping sending signal at all, whether momentarily or steadily under certain circumstances. If it's ONLY for a second or two and only when G-sync is enabled, then obviously that's probably not a failed component ALTHOUGH the fact that you can record gameplay has little to almost nothing to do with whether or not there is something wrong with the graphics card or power supply.

That conversion and recording happens as part of an entirely different process than the one that is responsible for rendering and transporting the rendered frames to your display. If you were a computer, you could play and record, an entire gaming session without the need for anything to every be shown on the monitor, so that really isn't an indicator that there couldn't be something wrong ONLY in the sub-system responsible for actually exporting the rendered frames to the monitor for display. Happens quite a lot actually. In fact, on some users systems it happens ONLY on a specific output, so that for example switching to DP from HDMI results in no troubles, or visa versa, or to DVI, or whatever.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Ok, so yeah, that is totally not what I thought. I was thinking it was stopping sending signal at all, whether momentarily or steadily under certain circumstances. If it's ONLY for a second or two and only when G-sync is enabled, then obviously that's probably not a failed component ALTHOUGH the fact that you can record gameplay has little to almost nothing to do with whether or not there is something wrong with the graphics card or power supply.

That conversion and recording happens as part of an entirely different process than the one that is responsible for rendering and transporting the rendered frames to your display. If you were a computer, you could play and record, an entire gaming session without the need for anything to every be shown on the monitor, so that really isn't an indicator that there couldn't be something wrong ONLY in the sub-system responsible for actually exporting the rendered frames to the monitor for display. Happens quite a lot actually. In fact, on some users systems it happens ONLY on a specific output, so that for example switching to DP from HDMI results in no troubles, or visa versa, or to DVI, or whatever.
Well, I don't know, while I understand there are different pipelines for recording and rendering frames to the display. My movements in game being recorded would lead me to believe the frames are still being rendered and sent to the monitor and frames are changing as per my input aren't they. If my inputs seized to make a change to what would be displayed on screen when the black flash occurs, then we could delve into the sub system being faulty, wouldn't you agree? or pehaps the rendering frames and sending them to monitor sub system is not being fed properly by the psu.

Last edited: