[SOLVED] Screen goes black, then it says no signal and when i restart my pc my gpu drivers are.

May 27, 2021
So I have a problem once a month where my screen goes black, then it says no signal and when i restart it my gpu drivers are , i know that amd drivers sre bad but im pretty sure its not that bad or atleast i hope so. Everytime i reinstall my drivers (fresh install using ddu) it fixes it for a month or two and then it happens again. I have a 650w psu, a rx570 and a 3600 so it should have more than enough power. Any suggestions on what to do, could the problem be that i havent updated windows?

Edit: the driver im using is the adrenalin 21.4.1 one, tried updating to the newer one, but that gave me a bsod everytime i tried to game so.

Last edited:
Solution
Then i would try to install various version of drivers (especially the ones that didn't do that because as i understand this has started happening just recently), then rollback to a previous windows update. If those things don't fix it i would reinstall windows after updating the bios to the last revision. That's what I'd do software related.

As far as hardware is concerned, Unluckily you don't have a modular psu, so trying a different cable is not a viable solution. Nvidia recommendations are for a 650w for a 3070. Your PSU isn't a great quality 650 w tho, so it might be that still the problem. I would start logging my voltages (especially the 12v rail) using hwinfo and see how said rail acts under stress (possibly before the screen...

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
well what kind of 650w psu are we talking about. Watts are pretty much just a number. Exact model of it? Also does that happen during load or idle? How are the temperatures looking just before the screen goes black? Have you tried to take out the card and reseat it in the slot?

May 27, 2021
well what kind of 650w psu are we talking about. Watts are pretty much just a number. Exact model of it? Also does that happen during load or idle? How are the temperatures looking just before the screen goes black? Have you tried to take out the card and reseat it in the slot?

Its a thermaltake smart se2 650w psu. And it happens during load. The temps are usually normal, about 60c gpu and cpu around the same. I havent taken the card out yet, but ill try it the next time it happens, rn im updating windows to see if that fixes anything, cuz the problem started after i paused updates on win10

Last edited:

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
Then i would try to install various version of drivers (especially the ones that didn't do that because as i understand this has started happening just recently), then rollback to a previous windows update. If those things don't fix it i would reinstall windows after updating the bios to the last revision. That's what I'd do software related.

As far as hardware is concerned, Unluckily you don't have a modular psu, so trying a different cable is not a viable solution. Nvidia recommendations are for a 650w for a 3070. Your PSU isn't a great quality 650 w tho, so it might be that still the problem. I would start logging my voltages (especially the 12v rail) using hwinfo and see how said rail acts under stress (possibly before the screen goes black). If it drops to an unsafe amount (let's say below 11.8/7) i would worry. If the voltage stays around 12/as low as 11.9 i wouldn't.
Another solution could be plug the card out and reseat it in the slot. Then ofc the best solution would by trying the card onto a different system and see if it happens again.

The fact all this happens during load makes me question as i told you, the PSU. But if that was the case, the pc should reboot, and you said you are still able to use voice chat and hear game sounds, so it's MOST LIKELY a software issue.

Try the things I've said.

Solution
May 27, 2021

As far as hardware is concerned, Unluckily you don't have a modular psu, so trying a different cable is not a viable solution. Nvidia recommendations are for a 650w for a 3070. Your PSU isn't a great quality 650 w tho, so it might be that still the problem. I would start logging my voltages (especially the 12v rail) using hwinfo and see how said rail acts under stress (possibly before the screen goes black). If it drops to an unsafe amount (let's say below 11.8/7) i would worry. If the voltage stays around 12/as low as 11.9 i wouldn't.
Another solution could be plug the card out and reseat it in the slot. Then ofc the best solution would by trying the card onto a different system and see if it happens again.

The fact all this happens during load makes me question as i told you, the PSU. But if that was the case, the pc should reboot, and you said you are still able to use voice chat and hear game sounds, so it's MOST LIKELY a software issue.

Try the things I've said.

I can try other cables, my psu is a semi modular psu. Im going to upgrade my psu anyway to something better. Also like i said it doesnt happen very often, it happens like once a month, or once every two months, but im pretty sure that the pcie cable is garbage so i will most likely get a new one before i upgrade my psu.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
ah ok yeah that could be the culprit then. I thought it would be a consistent daily thing. Then it is most likely either the cable or the psu, dropping voltages here and there to a too low value and there goes your card. If you change cable, make sure it is compatible with your psu. I would strongly suggest to contact thermaltake and ask em what kind of cable will be good for that particular psu.

DSzymborski

Titan
I can try other cables, my psu is a semi modular psu. Im going to upgrade my psu anyway to something better. Also like i said it doesnt happen very often, it happens like once a month, or once every two months, but im pretty sure that the pcie cable is garbage so i will most likely get a new one before i upgrade my psu.

The PCIE power cable will come with the new PSU. Do not use any other cables unless you've verified that they work for the exact model of PSU you have. PSU cables are not universal on the end that connects to the PSU, so there could be extremely unpleasant consequences.

May 27, 2021
ah ok yeah that could be the culprit then. I thought it would be a consistent daily thing. Then it is most likely either the cable or the psu, dropping voltages here and there to a too low value and there goes your card. If you change cable, make sure it is compatible with your psu. I would strongly suggest to contact thermaltake and ask em what kind of cable will be good for that particular psu.
Alright thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.

May 27, 2021

Alright it happened again and i narrowed the problem down to a software issue so ill try different drivers. Pretty sure that it might be rgb fusion

Edit: i think its a software issue because i can hear something crashing and everytime I clicked my mouse it made that ping sound, but the gpu fans still spun and i could still hear my song in the background.

Last edited:

Butters5000

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
hello, i posted yesterday saying i was having same problem so i posted on this tread and they deleted it and told me to make my own thread, but yeah it seems to be the amd drivers, i went back a to 21..2.1 and when i get a crash it usually starts up but i will randomly get a system freeze but after i restart it it works good again, unlike before where it would randomly completely stop working or uninstall the drivers, good luck.