[SOLVED] Screen goes black under load after installing water block

LudinK

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
So I’m interested in buying a computer build that is going for cheap due to an issue. The owner installed custom liquid cooling in it and the screen goes black when attempting to run games on it. I was curious as to if this is an issue that can be easily fixed and whether it would be worth investing in this build.

Ryzen 7 1800x
2x16gb 3600 MHz
Aorus 1080ti with ekwaterblock
ASUS x470i-gaming
EVGA 550 gold plus

Solution
Well, if there's no issue with components themselves you should be able to troubleshoot it by running it at defaults at first. If there was a warranty on parts, than it's even better. Those were the parts I suspect of being either defective, not enough or improperly set up.
PSU (not enough power)
RAM not set up properly
Cooling (specially on GPU) not installed properly.
Without having it at hand any trying to troubleshoot, can't be sure of anything but if price is right...........
What's memory running at ? Have you tried everything at slowest speeds ? Other possibility is high temps on GPU, that water cooling mod may not be as successful as he hoped for. Also possible that PSU doesn't give enough power. I think that combo like that should have at least 650 -750W PSU.

LudinK

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014

at first i assumed the psu was the issue but wouldnt the PC shut down if there was a power issue? The CPU i believe is at stock and the ram is at 3533mhz.

Well, if there's no issue with components themselves you should be able to troubleshoot it by running it at defaults at first. If there was a warranty on parts, than it's even better. Those were the parts I suspect of being either defective, not enough or improperly set up.
PSU (not enough power)
RAM not set up properly
Cooling (specially on GPU) not installed properly.
Without having it at hand any trying to troubleshoot, can't be sure of anything but if price is right...........

Solution