Screen Goes Black When Gaming

l1nkown

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
I recently bought a used ati radeon 4850 and a 430 watt antec PSU. Everything was fine until a week later, when my screen would go black when playing games. I could hear the audio for 3 seconds, then it would start repeating and then there would be no audio. The computer is still on, but everything just shut down and i'm forced to restart. So now whenever I go to play a game like WoW, I get the black screen after just 5 minutes.

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
actually im not sure. I had an overclock on my CPU and it would lock up in games, but the screen would stay at the same frame and the audio would continue to repeat. I lowered my OC and it went away. Check your case for dust. How many intake and outtake fans does your case have? Does your 4850 have a case to blow the hot air out the back through a second expansion slot?

l1nkown

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

Well that's not the same case, my screen goes black and everything stops. I don't think I have any fans and my 4850 is a single slot.

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Underclock your CPU and see if it stops. you should get case cans, and probably a PCI slot fan to place next to your GPU to push hot air out. The fact that you don't have any fans makes me think it is probably an overheat issue, what GPU did you have before? Is this an OEM machine, if so, what brand/model.

l1nkown

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

I don't think my motherboard that came with my Dell e521 allows me to underclock or overclock. I used to use a nvidia 8600 gt

l1nkown

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

So you think it's my Graphics card overheating?

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
no, i think it is your CPU overheating because your GPU is putting too much hot air inside your case and the CPU cannot handle it. GPUs can run hotter than CPUs (i hear).

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I think he's wrong. I was having a simlar issue. Fan was bad on my 4830. GPU was overheating. When a CPU overheats, it normally shuts the PC down completely. The 4850 is not going to produce enough heat to cause the CPU to overheat.

One option would be to buy a cheap [Rosewill] case and move all your components into it. This will allow you to add fans. A 4850 can produce a lot of heat. If it stays in your case, the CPU fan may be unable to do its job.

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Download Realtemp and monitor your CPU temps. I doubt that is the issue. It sounds to me that your GPU is overheating. Download Rivatuner and force fan speed to 100%. Also, it wouldn't hurt to lower clock and mem speeds. This should help confirm the problem is GPU related or dismiss it.

Question, what’s total 12v rail amps?

l1nkown

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009

I don't remember, but when I made a thread asking if my PSU was enough, everyone agreed that it was.
I've been playing with my case open and the Air conditioner running and it hasn't had a problem yet. I tried Realtemp and it says my processor is not supported. It is an AMD Athlon dual processor 4600+ 2.4ghz.

Well then, I believe the solution I suggested will work long-term for you, as it does seem to be a matter of heat. A cheap Rosewill case with another 120mm fan added to the front (most just have one 120mm in the rear) will cost you about $40 if you find one with free shipping.

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
As you bought a used card, I would suggest you take the heatsink off and re-seat with some new thermal paste. It does sound like your gfx is overheating and I reckon doing this will bring your temps down significantly.
For example, I recently bought my dad a used Asus HD3870, plonked it in and tried a few games, played Grid with all the eye candy turned on and it played for a couple of minutes then locked up the whole machine. Re-booted, and monitored the temps doing the same thing and they went up to ~95c before I stopped it and pulled the card out. I took the heatsink off and the old thermal paste just flaked off. The paste hardens over time and I suspect where it had been in transit the vibrations had cracked it off the surface of the GPU allowing it to get much hotter than normal.
I replaced the thermal paste and after it had been run in for a bit the same card only hits 78c after 10 mins of Furmark.

lorik

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Had the same problem u described ,all i had to do was download rivatuner and change the GPU fans manually when u play games just push them to 50% ,it will be loud but at least it fixes the problem

carickw

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Why would the sound stop if the video card shutdown? Aren't they (usually) completely different entities? Although this is Windows where everything is tied together, and the GUI is built into the kernel.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Everything is tied together under Windows, but its also tied together on the mobo. Who knows how the overheating may affect other components. Maybe its not heat related and its just a bad vid card. That's why it so hard sometimes to troubleshoot a hardware issue. A bad component could be affecting another unrelated component.

speedo5

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
Any update on this? When I play crysis or FEAR 2 at max settings, my HD5850 goes blank and some fax starts running loud, nothing on display and PC does not respond