Screen goes black while pc keeps running. psu or gpu problem?

imri.verrijp

Prominent
Sep 19, 2018
Dear members of the community,
lately i am experiencing some problems with my pc.
it started while playing crossout the screen would get weird pixelated colors and froze and i had to manually shut it down and reboot it. it began to happen more often and now the screen just goes black and not even when playing games. i reinstalled the drivers for my graphics card. this didnt work. also i tried stresstesting it with furmark but after a few minutes the screen went black again at 74C with 88% load.
my cpu is just running at around and below 40C.
interesting is that the pc keeps running (all fans spinning and lights on).

what i now did was removing my graphics card from my pc and just plug my screen in the motherboard and it works fine so im guessing it is either the psu or the graphics card.
i hope you guys can help me.

i also looked into the event viewer and saw event id 41 (kernell-power) critical error

specs:
intel i5-7500
gigabyte gtx780 windforce 3gb
cooler masterwatt 650 80 plus broze
msi z270 sli motherboard
4x kingston hyper fury X DDR4 4GB

Solution

yes 650 is enought for Nvidia GPUs.

I mean i could still be a PSU problem, but ive seen a lot of gpus dying in the way you described it by weird pixels and then a black screen.
If you PSU is faulty in a way that it isnt able to deliver the needed pwoer then it usually shuts down completly or wont even boot.

yes 650 is enought for Nvidia GPUs.

I mean i could still be a PSU problem, but ive seen a lot of gpus dying in the way you described it by weird pixels and then a black screen.
If you PSU is faulty in a way that it isnt able to deliver the needed pwoer then it usually shuts down completly or wont even boot.

Solution