[SOLVED] Screen goes blank and cpu fan blows really hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamhamza

Commendable
Jun 9, 2018
I regularly get these two problems: either the cpu fan starts to run really fast and loud. Or the my monitor goes blank as if the hdmi cable is disconnected. Mind you that the monitor is brand new.
I get these problems randomly like while browse the internet. I dont play any games or perform heavy tasks.

So what I did so far is:
  • Updated gpu driver (clean install with latest update)
  • updated Bios
  • cleaned pc components
  • Checked other drivers to see if they are up to date.
  • I tested another monitor which I do not use. Both monitors seems to be working fine.

I think its hardware related. What should I do? Should I check the cpu thermal paste? What about the screen?

Thanks.

Solution
If your screen suddenly goes blank (not blue) and the fans all switch to full speed, that means your system shut down and started to reboot. That certainly would cause the video card to stop sending out signals. And the normal start-up process is that the mobo always sends all its fans signals to start up at full speed. Some seconds later, as the POST process completes, the system recognizes the temperature signals it gets and reduces the fan speeds to what is needed. BUT if the POST (very first self-check) process fails, the fans will not slow down because the system is frozen.

So that's what you are seeing. What causes it to suddenly quit is not clear from the info so far. It could be a momentary failure in the PSU. It could be...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If your screen suddenly goes blank (not blue) and the fans all switch to full speed, that means your system shut down and started to reboot. That certainly would cause the video card to stop sending out signals. And the normal start-up process is that the mobo always sends all its fans signals to start up at full speed. Some seconds later, as the POST process completes, the system recognizes the temperature signals it gets and reduces the fan speeds to what is needed. BUT if the POST (very first self-check) process fails, the fans will not slow down because the system is frozen.

So that's what you are seeing. What causes it to suddenly quit is not clear from the info so far. It could be a momentary failure in the PSU. It could be overheating, although MOST overheating situations cause a substantial slow-down first, followed later by a shut-down. It could be a loose connection of the CPU cooling fan with the mobo CPU_FAN header - that header watches the CPU cooler carefully and, if it suddenly gets NO fan speed signal, it interprets that to be a failure of CPU cooling and many mobos will shut the whole system down to protect the CPU from heat damage, and may not allow a re-start until it does get a good fan speed signal at the next attempt. Or it could be lots of other things. You have some detecting to do, I'm afraid.

Solution

iamhamza

Commendable
Jun 9, 2018
I can still hear sound when I listen to music or podcast when my screen turns off.
I did check a couple weeks ago if my PSU with a power supply tester. It performed good. But you're right I need to check again and all components. It can be everything. Thanks paperdoc!

Status
Not open for further replies.