Screen goes blank momentarily

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Since I swapped the very low end graphics card in my PC to a Sapphire HD6770 from another PC everytime I power up the PC the screen goes blank for about 1 - 2 seconds anytime between 2 minutes to 15 minutes after I power up. It seems that it only does this once.
My hardware is
500 watt PSU
Gigabyte GA-H87M-HD3 m/b
Intel I 4770 CPU (3.4Ghz) NOT overclocked
16GB 1600 memory
Sapphire HD6770 1GB

The video card is NOT overclocked. It is currently set to run at 775Mhz GPU (max is 800), 1200Mhz memory speed and whenever I look at the temperature it is never more than around 50C.

When the video card was in the other PC (which only has a E6850 3.0Ghz CPU with a 500 watt PSU) I never had this problem.

Any ideas what could be causing the screen to go blank for 1-2 seconds?

Thanks

Solution
with the newer intel and amd mb and cpu some of them have ipgpu or onboard video. in the bios see if primany dispaly is set to auto or ipgpu or peg/pci. if it set to auto the mb may be bouncing bewtween onboard and gpu video cards. set the display to peg/p[ci and make sure muilt monitor support is off. make sure the video card has the video cable on it. make sure the mb has the newest chipset drivers and bios on it.

Michael Hurtle

Reputable
May 5, 2015

Are the drivers crashing for the GPU? because it sounds like it could be an application opening and causing the GPU to lock up?

with the newer intel and amd mb and cpu some of them have ipgpu or onboard video. in the bios see if primany dispaly is set to auto or ipgpu or peg/pci. if it set to auto the mb may be bouncing bewtween onboard and gpu video cards. set the display to peg/p[ci and make sure muilt monitor support is off. make sure the video card has the video cable on it. make sure the mb has the newest chipset drivers and bios on it.

Solution

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015

Thanks for the suggestion. I will monitor which application I recently opened when the screen goes blank.
I am using the driver which came on the CD which accompanied the card even though it is about 2 years old.

As mentioned before I never experienced this problem which I had a (basic) Geforce 210 installed.

make sure nvidia control software was removed and install the newest amd control software for your old card the are no new crimson drivers. use windows task manager look what loading under the start up tab. i found out some time it can be wifi software that can cause quick blink.

jarnie

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015

I have reseated the video card and also updated the video card driver.
Onboard video is OFF (via BIOS).
I emailed the manufacturer (Sapphire) who suggested that I should remove any NVidea software. I had UNINSTALLED the video driver (which was for the old NVidia card) before I installed this video card and could not understand why uninstalling the software would make any difference however I did uninstall all NVidia software. I also edited the REGISTRY and manually deleted any reference to NVidia I found.

The problem still exists but there seems to be no pattern. The screen can go blank for 2 seconds minutes after powering up or it could happen quite some time after powering up.
Sometimes it goes blank once and sometimes twice withing a few seconds and then it either doesn't happen again or not for a long time.

I am now wondering if I should attempt a Windows 7 REPAIR.

Should I take the risk? That is if there is a risk.

Thanks