screen goes grey when stressing my GPU and i have to restart pc

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
i was playing a game then screen goes black with two horizontal red lines, i restarted my pc and the Two red lines was still there when windows was booting then it disappeared and everything back to normal..

but the problem now is that every time i stress my GPU just for a few seconds screens goes black again and same problem happens.

i haven't done any changes to my PC since long time neither a software nor a hardware, Temps seems to be normal consider we are in summer, and my PSU considered to be new.

CPU: i5-3470
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 XT
mobo: Gigabyte h61m-s2p
PSU: HEXA 500w
Windows 7

Solution
Buy a cheap Graphics Card like a GT 710 and see if the graphics card is on the verge of death. Test the 710 and if it works your gpu is probably dead. If that works, It's probably your system. It's getting too old.

vezityshock

Proper
May 3, 2018
You might want to check out the drivers. If they're up to date, then you might want to change out your graphics card as it might be at its dying state. Are you experiencing any artifacts? Also, how old is your graphics card? Was it used?

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

my GPU driver version isn't up to date, but I'm using this version of driver since long time ago with no issues.

No, I'm not experiencing any artifacts, just as i mentioned the screen goes grey before PC freezes and i have to restart manually. sometimes before it goes grey i see few colors on the screen and then two red lines.

normally my GPU idle temp is at 40c, but when this problem happens and after the restart it stays stable at 57c for a while with no GPU activity, and then i get the BSOD, after the restart again it returns back to 40c.

i changed graphic profile on Radeon settings from Balanced to Optimized performance. and until now nothing happens, but I'm sensing that if i stressed my GPU hard again the problem will return.

my GPU isn't used, but its 5 years old now.

vezityshock

Proper
May 3, 2018

Yea, update the drivers. That's probably the problem.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013
thank you.. i performed a windows update and i increased the GPU processing time through registry. after that i tested my GPU with Furmark for 10 minutes and nothing happened. i don't know if that have fixed it..

i just noticed a weird thing when i was testing GPU with furmark i noticed that it only draws 100w from PSU at full load.. while my GPU should draw 185w at its full load.

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

hello again, sorry for posting again but after i thought Windows update have fixed my issue, after few days of heavy gaming the problem have came back, i performed Windows update again and it have fixed it again but only for a while.

now i've updated my GPU driver to the latest and problem still exist.. anything else i should try?

event viewer source code is :
BugcheckCode 278
BugcheckParameter1 0xfffffa8006d824e0
BugcheckParameter2 0xfffff88004e15ea8
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x2
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

vezityshock

Proper
May 3, 2018
Buy a cheap Graphics Card like a GT 710 and see if the graphics card is on the verge of death. Test the 710 and if it works your gpu is probably dead. If that works, It's probably your system. It's getting too old.

Solution

whiteknights

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2013

thank you.. i went to "power options" and changed "PCI Express" from maximum performance to off. and it has been a week now and the problem seems to be gone till now.. any explanation?