Screen going black after 20-30 seconds after booting

CannonballGB

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Hey folks. My computer has been in storage for roughly seven months and I just made a cross country move where the computer was in a padded box. While the case got banged up a bit and both my HD and SSD came lose from their "ports" or whatever, everything else looked pretty good.

I booted the computer up today and after 20-30 seconds the screen goes black. It doesn't matter if I'm in BIOS, the sign in screen, etc.

Specs as follows:

Intel Core i5-4440
ASRock H97M ANNIVERSARY LGA1150
Sapphire TRI-X AMD Radeon R9 290

Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution

Well first thing, you said the box got banged up and your drives were loose, did you re-seat everything else, including the CPU and heatsink? Power supply could have been damaged...

Well first thing, you said the box got banged up and your drives were loose, did you re-seat everything else, including the CPU and heatsink? Power supply could have been damaged also, or the video card. If you have onboard video, test it with that with the card removed. Test with another power supply.

Solution

CannonballGB

Distinguished
May 15, 2006

So it turns out my monitor took a crap, no issues when using a different monitor. Thank you for the help though!