[SOLVED] Screen has horizontal lines on the bottom, then goes away

eyboss

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
Ram: G.Skill DDR4 3200 16GB CL16 KIT (2x8GB)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X BOX (AM4) (with a bequiet! Dark Rock 4 cooler on it)
GPU: Sapphire 5700 XT Nitro+ SE 8GB
PSU: Seasonic Focus 650 Gold Semi-modular
SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 256GB
HDD: 1 TB WD
Sometimes when I boot up, the motherboard's logo comes in, I have some strange (pink, green) horizontal lines on the screen that is "breathing". I mean it goes away slowly, comes back, repeats a few times, then when I'm on the desktop, after a few seconds it goes away totally. When the monitor goes to sleep mode after 10 minutes of idle, without any interact, (so without touching the mouse or anything) VERY randomly I can hear the sound of the monitor coming back from sleep mode, the "Displayport" thing comes up, but the screen is black, only the backlighting turns on, then off, on, and goes back to sleep. Sometimes it repeats this procedure immediately, then goes back to sleep again. It can happen ANY time, when it is on sleep mode. I mean, when only the screen is on sleep mode. And during this period, when the screen "wakes itself up", and the backlighting turns on, the horizontal lines come back for a few seconds. I don't know it these things are connected, but here is what I have already tried:
  • Take out components from the motherboard (GPU, RAM)
  • Installed the newest chipset and BIOS
  • Installed all updates (drivers, etc)
  • DDU, reinstalled all drivers
I don't really know what else I could do, it seems like a hardware problem to me. What do you think guys? Can I fix it myself? The horizontal lines, and the screen turning back on from sleep mode are so random..

Solution
ah that sucks, its working sort of for now. as long as it doesnt get worse.. the screen thing would concern me a little bit but then switch it off totally rather than sleep, or try hibernating, that works pretty nice, i have my pc set so the front button sets her to hibernate, it goes off, and resumes where i left it when i turn it back on, move the mouse and it boots up, you dont need to push any buttons, even hitting a key on the kb turns it on, id be surprised if the monitor could trigger it to boot there but who knows

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
sounds like a dry joint maybe on the GPU somewhere, when it gets warm the connecition is made better, id think about replacing the GPU if its not too costly, getting things repaired isnt really worth it, someone at a decent repair shop might fix it for ya but it will be pricey

eyboss

Honorable
Jun 16, 2015
sounds like a dry joint maybe on the GPU somewhere, when it gets warm the connecition is made better, id think about replacing the GPU if its not too costly, getting things repaired isnt really worth it, someone at a decent repair shop might fix it for ya but it will be pricey

yeah, I am thinking the same, I have warranty on the card, but I bought it second-hand, and I have only an e-mail of the warrant, not even on my name, so it would be very complicated to take it back for a replace. (probably 3-4 weeks, and I don't have another card to use until then)

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
ah that sucks, its working sort of for now. as long as it doesnt get worse.. the screen thing would concern me a little bit but then switch it off totally rather than sleep, or try hibernating, that works pretty nice, i have my pc set so the front button sets her to hibernate, it goes off, and resumes where i left it when i turn it back on, move the mouse and it boots up, you dont need to push any buttons, even hitting a key on the kb turns it on, id be surprised if the monitor could trigger it to boot there but who knows

Reactions: eyboss
Solution