Screen image started playing up - little coloured bars app..

Help please - This is doing my head in.

This week my display has started developing random small little blocks
of vertical coloured bars. If I refresh they disappear for a few
seconds but then start spawning again.
I have downloaded the latest ATI drivers, updated the Bios and
reinstalled the Via AGP drivers and re-installed the monitor driver.

System is:-
ASUS A7V600 Mobo
512 PC3200 ram
Radeon 9800 pro 128
Monitor LG Flatron L1811s
Win XP pro.

I have not installed anything new in the last few weeks, so I dont
think it is caused by new games, but the latest games I did install
about a month ago was Star Wars Galaxies and Neverwinter nights. But
the problem only started in the last couple of days.

Please put me out of my misery

TIA

Alan

"John Clarke" <Jatclarke999@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
> Help please - This is doing my head in.
>
> This week my display has started developing random small little blocks
> of vertical coloured bars. If I refresh they disappear for a few
> seconds but then start spawning again.
> I have downloaded the latest ATI drivers, updated the Bios and
> reinstalled the Via AGP drivers and re-installed the monitor driver.
>
> System is:-
> ASUS A7V600 Mobo
> 512 PC3200 ram
> Radeon 9800 pro 128
> Monitor LG Flatron L1811s
> Win XP pro.
>
> I have not installed anything new in the last few weeks, so I dont
> think it is caused by new games, but the latest games I did install
> about a month ago was Star Wars Galaxies and Neverwinter nights. But
> the problem only started in the last couple of days.
>
> Please put me out of my misery

sounds like your graphics card is shot

return it if its in warranty

alan

"Alan" <agoodm@removebtopenworld.com> wrote in message
> > Please put me out of my misery
>
> sounds like your graphics card is shot
>
> return it if its in warranty
>
> alan

I concur... had something similar - very occasionally I'd get horrible
corrupt bars down the desktop - returned the card and they confirmed the
memory was faulty.

Hope your warranty is ok...

Neil

On 1 Apr 2004 15:15:52 -0800, Jatclarke999@ukonline.co.uk (John
Clarke) wrote:

>Help please - This is doing my head in.
>
>This week my display has started developing random small little blocks
>of vertical coloured bars. If I refresh they disappear for a few
>seconds but then start spawning again.
>I have downloaded the latest ATI drivers, updated the Bios and
>reinstalled the Via AGP drivers and re-installed the monitor driver.
>
>System is:-
>ASUS A7V600 Mobo
>512 PC3200 ram
>Radeon 9800 pro 128
>Monitor LG Flatron L1811s
>Win XP pro.
>
>I have not installed anything new in the last few weeks, so I dont
>think it is caused by new games, but the latest games I did install
>about a month ago was Star Wars Galaxies and Neverwinter nights. But
>the problem only started in the last couple of days.
>
>Please put me out of my misery

Overheated card. Heat-sinking on the 9800 series is insufficient.
Try spraying Arctic Cold or similar <gently> on the memory and
GPU heatsinks until frost just forms and see if it modifies the
problem. That will indicate that the problem area is heating.
The problem may not go away entirely, as non-reversible
damage may have been done.

Add a slot-fan in the adjacent PCI slot and venting to
the outside air when/if you get your new card.

John Lewis

John Lewis