[SOLVED] Screen is black for a few minutes after logging on

ERX

Mar 26, 2020
Every time I log on to my computer I would face a black screen, the time the black screen would stay is random and only happens when the computer has been of for a decent amount of time.

This has happened for a while as I got used to it when I couldn't find a solution. I have tried reinstalling drivers, checking for any storage related issues but couldn't find anything to help the issue.

I'm hoping that posting here can help me with my problem

Solution
Does it stay black? Is screen actually off or just not showing an image? can you see the mouse cursor?

Does it happen in safe mode?
go to settings/update & security/recovery
under Advanced startup, click restart now
this restarts windows into a blue menu
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

if it doesn't happen here, it could be drivers or a start up program
to test if it is a startup program, set pc up for a clean boot while in safe mode
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does it stay black? Is screen actually off or just not showing an image? can you see the mouse cursor?

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.

to test if it is a startup program, set pc up for a clean boot while in safe mode
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

what are specs of the PC?

Solution

ERX

Mar 26, 2020

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose startup options
click the restart button

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

what are specs of the PC?

Hey thanks for responding, this is quite hard to troubleshoot as this doesn't seem to happen when the computer has recently been booted making it hard to identify if the problem has been fixed or not. I can try the solutions you have suggested but it will be challenging to see if it had any impact.

To answer one of your questions, when the black screen does pop up my cursor does appear.
When it comes to my PC specs I have a Ryzen 7 2700x with a ASUS RTX 2060 Super 8GB, I have 24 GB of RAM and a 1tb HDD and 110 SSD. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help

Colif

Win 11 Master
next time it happens, remember what time it was. Then after restart, look in Event viewer
click on custom view
admin events
you can make window bigger and make the columns wider if need be.
find the time the error happened in and look for anything that happened around same time.

you can share the info here if you need help :)

note: there are always errors in Event viewer, even on my system that has no problems (that I want to know about), so don't be concerned by that, just look at times :)

ERX

Mar 26, 2020
next time it happens, remember what time it was. Then after restart, look in Event viewer
click on custom view
admin events
you can make window bigger and make the columns wider if need be.
find the time the error happened in and look for anything that happened around same time.

you can share the info here if you need help :)

note: there are always errors in Event viewer, even on my system that has no problems (that I want to know about), so don't be concerned by that, just look at times :)

View: https://imgur.com/a/BWaZWGC

Got the error at 17:10

Colif

Win 11 Master
Event ID 7011 – Service Timeout is a logged event that describes a Service Control Manager event which controls requests to running services and the driver services. This maintains status information about these services and reports any changes to configuration or state. If the SCM does not receive a response with in the defined timeout period ( default 30000 milliseconds) the event will be logged.

How Do I Fix It?
Easy – Increase the timeout.

Note: To perform this fix, you must have an account that is an Administrator or has membership in the Administrators group or have an account which has been configured to have the proper authority.

Caution: Making changes to the registry can cause serious issues if done incorrectly. Please – backup your registry prior to making any changes. see https://neosmart.net/wiki/backup-restore-registry/

To change the service timeout period:
  1. Click the Start button, then click Run, type regedit, and click OK.
  2. In the Registry Editor, click the registry subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control.
  3. In the details pane, locate the ServicesPipeTimeout entry, right-click that entry and then select Modify. Note: If the ServicesPipeTimeout entry does not exist, you must create it by selecting New on the Edit menu, followed by the DWORD Value, then typing ServicesPipeTimeout, and clicking Enter.
  4. Click Decimal, enter the new timeout value in milliseconds, and then click OK.
  5. Restart the computer.

https://www.yourdigitalmind.com/tutorials/windows-error-event-id-7011-service-timeout/

Note: I don't normally go into registry to fix errors, which makes this unusual

have a look in Reliability History and see if any errors show in there as well. Hardware errors may show as that is what windows sees a restart as. I wonder if your driver is not responding to the Windows Desktop Manager, and after a certain time out, it swaps to using the basic drivers. I have seen that on my pc.