Question Screen keeps disconnecting for no reason

Jan 23, 2021
I hope you guys can help because I am literally at my wits end with this now. So when I run games every so often my screen just loses connection for no reason that I can find. The only way is to hard shutdown or keep trying ALT+F4 and hope I get lucky and do a regular shutdown. After shutdown computer restarts with screen working fine.

I know my screen isn't the issue as it is literally only when I am running my PC and gaming this happens. I have tested extensively with my laptop and Xbox always perfect.

I have tried so many things to fix this problem; at first I thought it was a PSU problem so I upgraded to a 1200w... no difference; I then bolted my old PSU inside the case so I have two PSU's inside running simultaneously which means I now have about 1800w powering my computer so I know I have enough power. However upon closer inspection I realised the fan on my GPU is still going which means it is still powered up even though screen is gone. I have used Prime95 and Furmark to stress test both CPU and GPU all works fine and nothing weird screen stays perfect.

I have checked, double checked and triple checked my drivers. I have tweaked graphics settings more times than I can remember to no avail.

Something weird I noticed is when I am running a game at Ultra settings it happens less frequently than low graphics settings; but this may just be a coincidence as it is a bit random timing wise. I love gaming and during lockdown with not a lot else to do this is so frustrating and I can't even work right now to make money and buy a new pc so I am double annoyed with this situation.

I even sent it off to my friend, whose job is to fix hardware and software issues with computers, and even he couldn't find a solution.

I have been scanning forums for months trying to find answers and I just come stuck every time so I figured it is now time to make my own post and according to a google search this is one of the best places to do so. Any kind of help or advice would very appreciated so thanks in advance.

Alienware Area 51

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 CPU X980 @ 3.33GHz

12GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X

Matt

Jan 23, 2021
does this happens to every game? also tried reinstalling GPU driver using DDU?

Nearly all games; I haven't had it happen on Monster Hunter World with about 40 hours gameplay. Also used to happen a lot with Warhammer 2 Total War but I have had approximately 20 hours uninterrupted on that game. However; Bannerlord does this on low graphics settings but not at highest settings, Rome 1+2 Total War, Medieval 2 Total War, Warhammer 1 Total War, Empire Total War, FF7, FF8, Ark, TABS and Skyrim all have this problem. Last Remnant it happens literally within 10 mins of starting the game like clockwork. All the others timing seems to be random; anywhere between 5 mins and 2 hours.

Weirdly one of the times it happened I tried my headphones out of curiosity and all the game sounds were working fine and the game was still running.

I had reinstalled drivers a few times but I followed your advice and tried after running DDU same result unfortunately.

I also tried more troubleshooting since posting; WhoCrashed found nothing and different monitor also didn't change anything.