Question Screen keeps freezing, with Windows still running

Lv 88 Mog

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Ok, so I'm having a problem and I think it is connected with my graphics display driver, but anyway let me explain.

Recently, my screen has started freezing up. It will just suddenly stop working (usually while using Chrome), but the PC is still working in the background (if I was watching Youtube, I can still hear the video, if I press the sleep button, it still sleeps and wakes up, etc.) JUST the screen is completely frozen. Sleeping and waking don't change anything, and hitting the reset button doesn't change anything either - the screen stays unresponsive. I've gotten around this by sleeping my computer (to hopefully limit it from doing anything important) and then turning off the PSU switch and then restarting the PC completely. When Windows reloads, it loads everything back up exactly as it was (Chrome already open to the page I was on) and I get a message in the notification center saying:

Display Driver Failed to Start:
Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft basic display driver instead.
Check Windows Update for a newer display driver.

Now....here's the thing- I've had this happen before and pretty much everytime, I check my Geforce Experience and sure enough, a new driver is out and I need to install it. Then everything is fine. But this time, I installed Geforce Game Ready Driver 431.36 and everything was working great...for a day...then it froze again and when I checked, Geforce Experience told me AGAIN that a new driver was out and I needed to install it (431.36). SO I installed it again. And I made sure it went through the whole process and restarted my PC like it said. I even went into Control Panel - Device Manager, and checked and it did say (431.36). But then, 2 days later, my display froze AGAIN, and I went back into Geforce Experience and AGAIN it says, "New driver available (431.36). " So this time I checked Device Manager and sure enough, there is an exclamation mark on the Nvidia display adapter....it DOES show 431.36, but reads "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"

I ran Troubleshoot for hardware in the Windows settings and it did bring up the Nvidia card, and after running troubleshoot on it, it said that I needed to restart my PC to make changes and complete installation....but I've already done that multiple times...?

So what should I do? Should I uninstall the Nvidia driver and reinstall it completely? Or should I choose "Clean installation" in the Geforce Experience installer? Is there something else going on? Any help greatly appreciated!

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

How old is your PSU? Are you on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard?