screen keeps going black

snobgobbler

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
i got a new custom built desktop pc for my 18th and since I had it I can never play games with out it going black screen and restarting I turned auto off (off) on windows 8 ad it sum what increases the time I can play for
my rig is :
GeForce gtx 650
4 gigs ram
Intel core i5-3470 cpu 3.20 GHz
tell me what other information I need to provide you with for assistance
also using windows 8 64 bit
power supply is gigabyte 550 watt

Solution
You could set things back to default if you changed stuff.

If the symptoms go away when there's a fan blowing to the case then I guess it's the heat other than that well... I'm stumped. ^_^

snobgobbler

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I have no idea how to do that but I reduce the gpu clock and memory clock by 40-60 and it lasted longer while playing games when I played fable 3 I never freezed I never reduced the gpu clock either but if I play mass effect 3 or splinter black list in black screens and tower stays on .. but no picture till I restart then it shows me the bios screen whe turning on the blue 1 with bios at the top

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Is the fan on the graphics card spinning while you're using it? Could be the graphics card heating up.

If you can, connect the monitor to the appropriate graphics output on the motherboard instead of the graphics card. It's usually near the USB connectors at the back of the motherboard. You may have to change the wire or use an adapter (dvi/d-sub). See if that works (but the games will probably be slow since the performance of the onboard graphics is not really for gaming).

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
I forgot that you might have the onboard graphics disabled in your BIOS.

I'm trying to isolate the problem if it's graphics card, power supply or some other thing. Have you tried checking the connections inside the PC if they're connected properly?

Can you possibly borrow parts from a friend? Use another graphics card to see if it works or try another PSU.

snobgobbler

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
I sent it in and they tested it and they say it is fine but they replaced it for a new 1 any ways and my power supply how would I test it I have no friends that have desktops can I not test it any other way

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Usually they put a thin layer or pea sized amount there. How long have you had the PC? It could have dried up if it's a long time. Probably try to re-seat the heat sink if you can if it is loose. You can buy thermal past or you can also upgrade the heat sink (if that's really the problem) but make sure that it can fit the case the RAMs don't interfere with it.

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
You could set things back to default if you changed stuff.

If the symptoms go away when there's a fan blowing to the case then I guess it's the heat other than that well... I'm stumped. ^_^

Solution