Question Screen keeps turning off/PC freezes

rikniesink

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Hello,

Lately I have been experiencing a rather annoying problem with my PC. For example, when I download a game the screen turns black, and my monitor indicates 'no signal'. However, I can still hear the fans of my PC going. I cannot get the screen back. I can trigger this by downloading this game, it then happens after 5 minutes mostly, but this is a bit random.

Also, it can happen when I'm playing a game, like BF5. However, not so often as with the game download.

Basically, I know how to trigger the error, but I have no clue what could be causing it, or how to solve it. Here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: AMD R9 270X -
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 C16 2x8GB
MBD: Asrock A320M Pro4

I tested my memory, no errors. Also, I reverted the driver of my GPU back to an older version, no result. I adjusted my virtual memory and cleared my temp folder. Also nothing.

Any idea what I could do to resolve this issue?

rikniesink

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
I have 2 monitors, one is connected by HDMI and the other one by VGA. However, I have a feeling that its something to do with the PC itself, as I can trigger the error by downloading this game.

rikniesink

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
If I switch the download location of the game I was downloading from the SSD to the HDD, it still gives me the problem. Does that rule it out?

Is there any tool I can run some diagnostics with?

rikniesink

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
My PC crashed 8 times last evening.. I monitored my hardware and when I get the black screen the GPU activity falls. Any ideas?

I'm about to reinstall Windows to see if that helps. I've tried installing different drivers and updating my BIOS, but no working solution.

jakeythehobo

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
Does this happen when the PC goes to sleep or when it goes into screen saving mode? (or both?)
You could try seeing whether it does this on the integrated GPU (removing your GPU, and plugging the monitor into the motherboard display), or turning off screen saver.

If you're not sure about your Windows install, you can run the following (do backups prior to this, of course):

dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
timeout 20
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
timeout 20
sfc /scannow
timeout 20
defrag.exe /c /o /u /v /h # this part is optional
timeout 20
echo "y" | chkdsk /f
shutdown -r -f -t 00

paste that into a file called windowscheck.bat (make sure it's not windowscheck.bat.txt)

right click on it and run as administrator. Leave it to run for a while.
the timeouts in the script are because sometimes if one is executed too quickly after the other (sfc etc), it's caused problems for me in the past where it wouldn't run.

rikniesink

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Does this happen when the PC goes to sleep or when it goes into screen saving mode? (or both?)
You could try seeing whether it does this on the integrated GPU (removing your GPU, and plugging the monitor into the motherboard display), or turning off screen saver.

If you're not sure about your Windows install, you can run the following (do backups prior to this, of course):

dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
timeout 20
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
timeout 20
sfc /scannow
timeout 20
defrag.exe /c /o /u /v /h # this part is optional
timeout 20
echo "y" | chkdsk /f
shutdown -r -f -t 00

paste that into a file called windowscheck.bat (make sure it's not windowscheck.bat.txt)

right click on it and run as administrator. Leave it to run for a while.
the timeouts in the script are because sometimes if one is executed too quickly after the other (sfc etc), it's caused problems for me in the past where it wouldn't run.

No, it has nothing to do with going into screen saving mode or sleep mode.

It just crashes, mostly while playing a game. But it is not entirely related to increased load. Also, I have the feeling that it happens more after 1 error occurs. Like, I have the error, reset my pc, and then it is more likely to crash again soon.

Temperatures are okay, and I also can't find anything in the event viewer. I do get the following error message sometimes after restarting:

DEFAULT RADEON WATTMAN SETTINGS HAVE BEEN RESTORED DUE TO UNEXPECTED SYSTEM FAILURE.

Any help is appreciated. Will check the above. But any diagnostic tool that I can run to uncover the problem?