[SOLVED] Screen of death, both black and white.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014
So... My pc, which has a lot of relatively new components, has decided that it wants to ruin my week.

I've gotten all of a sudden A LOT of "black screen of death and white screen of death".
They're basically interchangeable.
I really have no idea what's going on. It started around a week ago. And is happening at least 1-2 times per day.
All I have to do is just restart. No need for force, just a click on the power button. And everything is okay again. Until it happens again.
I've checked, no viruses.
My cpu, ram and motherboard are less than half a year old.

Ryzen 2600x
HyperX Predator DDR4 3000MHz CL15 (2x4)
ASUS TUF X470-PLUS GAMING
MSI RX 480 8G Gaming X
Corsair CX650M

I might be missing some info.

Thanks.

Solution
it could be your GPU failing, drivers just comunicating with hardware, if hardware failin, driver will obviously waiting for some hardware reply
tho you may try different PSU to exlude hardware fails due to bad power delivery
The age of your components has little to do with their condition.
I've seen parts come DOA or last years before failing.

First, check all your connections to the motherboard (with the PC off).
Then. download and run MemTest86 for at least an hour.

If that doesn't reveal a problem, download and run Blue Screen View from nilsoft.net.
It is the last utility on the list.
You shouldn't have to wait until another BSOD happens for it to give you a report.
Then take a screen shot and post it.

karlka97

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2014

I belive I might have found the problem, I forgot to check the Reliability Monitor...
It said that the Radeon setting: host application had stopped working.
I checked it out and it says: "The Windows 10 Thread Stuck In Device Driver error is caused by a driver file being caught in an endless loop while it waits for the hardware to enter idle state."

And while checking out the Bluescreenview, it said: "Thread stuck in device driver".
So i guess it's the drivers.
Just used DDU to remove the current, and now installing fresh drivers.
Even though I'm pretty sure I'm up to date on the graphics driver.