[SOLVED] Screen randomly flickering black

Jun 7, 2019
Solution: It was a faulty Display Port cable. put a new one in a few days ago, and the screen hasn't flickered once.

Regardless of what I am doing with my computer, the screen will occasionally flicker off and then back on again. It happens at any time; when the OS is booting and simple web browsing, it does seem more frequent after playing games for more than half an hour. The display goes black for only a second then turns back to normal, I can still control my game when the screen is black. Until today, the audio was normal, but when I was watching a YouTube video the audio got a little garbled up when the screen flickered off. This maybe happens once or twice every 10 minutes, but sometimes it will flicker on and off 3-4 times very quickly.

Specs:
CPU: i5-8600K
Motherboard: MSI Z370 - A pro
Ram: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
Storage: WD 500GB NVME SSD
Graphics: GTX 1080 Gigabyte
PSU: Cooler master 550 bronze RS-550-PCAR-ER
Display: Dell S2716DG Gsync is on
Windows 10 Home

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers already and that hasn't helped. I've tried to look through the forums, but I couldn't find something that was exactly the same.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
The monitor is still pretty new, just bought it last November.

I'm not excited about reinstalling the OS... but I might have to give it a try anyway.

Solution: swapped out the display port cable

BeauJet

Commendable
May 20, 2017
Regardless of what I am doing with my computer, the screen will occasionally flicker off and then back on again. It happens at any time; when the OS is booting and simple web browsing, it does seem more frequent after playing games for more than half an hour. The display goes black for only a second then turns back to normal, I can still control my game when the screen is black. Until today, the audio was normal, but when I was watching a YouTube video the audio got a little garbled up when the screen flickered off. This maybe happens once or twice every 10 minutes, but sometimes it will flicker on and off 3-4 times very quickly.

Specs:
CPU: i5-8600K
Motherboard: MSI Z370 - A pro
Ram: 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
Storage: WD 500GB NVME SSD
Graphics: GTX 1080 Gigabyte
PSU: Cooler master 550 bronze RS-550-PCAR-ER
Display: Dell S2716DG Gsync is on
Windows 10 Home

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics drivers already and that hasn't helped. I've tried to look through the forums, but I couldn't find something that was exactly the same.

Thanks!
Sounds like a monitor issue.
Is your monitor old? What monitor is it?
also for the audio try reinstalling it's files.

If not, you may have to reinstall your entire OS, Windows can be odd, or try to restore it to when it worked.

Jun 7, 2019
The monitor is still pretty new, just bought it last November.

I'm not excited about reinstalling the OS... but I might have to give it a try anyway.

Solution: swapped out the display port cable

Last edited:
Solution