Question Screen randomly turns black.

Jan 21, 2020
Ive been having an issue the past few months where my monitor will randomly turn either black and display a no output detected message or solid green with no text or message, although it has pretty much stopped giving me this one as of recent. Ive noticed it only does it on any type of game that has decent enough graphics. This has restricted me to roblox and some 2d games, have not tried minecraft. If I unplug and replug my hdmi cable it still doesnt do anything, I have to restart my computer for it to work again, i cant even restart it through ctrl alt delete or any type of keyboard combo, only the restart button on my case. My pc is coming up on 5 years old so it could just be old age, I have also modified the graphics card a little, one of the fans went out on it so i strapped on some 80mm case fans and plugged them in. I would appreciate any help I can get, Thank you.

Specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P
CPU: AMD FX-6300
Cooler: Stock
Memory: G.Skill Ares 2x8
GPU: Gigabyte R9 380 Windforce
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 520W Fully Modular, this is actually a new psu, it was a Thermaltake TR2 700W that went out, the problem was happening before the new psu.
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB
Monitor: Dell S2318HN/NX

ProgamerIV

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I had this problem way back when I had an FX build, and a not very good motherboard (can't remember the exact board, but it was definitely worse than yours).
The motherboard VRM cooling was not good enough for the FX-8350 CPU I had in there.

I fixed this by getting an ASUS M5A97 EVO motherboard, but yours is actually not any worse than that (at least I think), and your CPU is less heavy on it than the 8350 I had, so it's weird, but as time passes it might be the issue still.

Since your GPU has a modded cooling, that's the most likely issue here other than this.
Run a stress test on the GPU and on the CPU as well (but separately), see which results in what and check the temps while doing it.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020
Since your GPU has a modded cooling, that's the most likely issue here other than this.
Run a stress test on the GPU and on the CPU as well (but separately), see which results in what and check the temps while doing it.
I think it is my gpu too, i did that mod well over a year ago, just forgot to mention that, it was fine for all that time. doing the stress test is a great idea, i will see about doing that. Thank you for your help!

Jan 21, 2020
Ok I'm back finally. I did a few tests and it's definitely the GPU. I ran furmark for my first test, it got to 78 or 80 C and then black screened, after rebooting i did prime 95 for the cpu, I left it for probably 40 minutes and it never black screened. Fast forward to today, I took my GPU out to see if maybe actually plugging in the fans to the gpu would help, thats when i remembered why I used an adapter in the first place (I realize I forgot to mention that), the fan pin for the stock cooler is slightly thinner and shorter than a standard plug. So I reapplied some new thermal paste and put it back together, I also plugged the adapter into a 4 pin instead of a 3 on my motherboard. I ran furmark again, this time it lasted longer and only got to 68 C before it solid green screened, I wonder if theres a different meaning between the green and black screens?