Question Screen randomly turns off while playing games.

May 5, 2019
Hello Everyone! I have a big issue,when im playing games,my monitor stops outputting a picture on the screen,it only happens while playing specific games,the ones that require better specs of the PC (ex. Mortal Ko-mbat XL).I have done everything that came up to my mind,I've turned off XMP i've underclocked and overclocked both gpu and cpu (to see if there would be any difference).

Here are the system specs:

Processor: Intel Core i5 7600K (running at 3.8 ghz)

Cooler: Cooler Master 2.5k RPM

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270P-D3-CF

RAM: HyperX DDR4 CL15 3GHZ 8GB

GPU: AMD RX470 Strix OC Edition 4GB

HDD:Some off brand 1TB

SSD:M.2 SAMSUNG 970 EVO 250GB
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU TEMP at normal use around 40-50
CPU TEMP under load around 55-65
GPU TEMP at normal use around 35-45
GPU TEMP under load 45-60

I have the latest drivers installed,i've also tried going back to old ones(known to be stable)
After the screen goes black,i can still hear music from the game im playing, then there is a 15 second delay, then my PC turns off and wont turn back on again in the next 3-5 minutes,then i am able to turn it on and have some output on my screen.

Last edited:
May 5, 2019
PSU: 800W 80 PLUS gold certified: RAIDMAX 800W EX-800AE
I've already specified CPU TEMPS near the GPU temps:
CPU TEMP at normal use around 40-50
CPU TEMP under load around 55-65

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes, sorry, I scrolled down and just saw the GPU temps. Those CPU temps are OK too.

The OEM for some those PSUs was Sigma I think. I don't think they're of the best quality. I couldn't find your exact model on the web there are pages on RAIDMAX 800W RX-800AE/-M. Maybe a regional market branding?

The fact that the PC shuts down and takes a while to be able to power on again means that the PSU is possibly faulty. Can you check the system with another PSU for a while? A 500-550W I think is enough for that system with a little head room.

May 5, 2019
For the PSU i dont think its regional market branding,i found one on amazon(if that would help) https://www.amazon.com/RAIDMAX-RX-800AE-M-Certification-Acquired-Supply/dp/B07CV1VZWD
PSU could be faulty,i dont know how could i test that,I have my old PSU 550W off brand gold certified(i used this one before upgrading to the listed RAIDMAX PSU but i still had the black screens happening.Low probability that both PSUs could be faulty.

Also could this cause a problem?(i dont know how to insert a picture directly so i have to do it like this):https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/311850289273634818/574692016567484456/Screenshot_119.png

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Your earlier post read RAIDMAX 800W EX-800AE not RX. I mentioned I found the RX-800AE-M model. This one is 80+ gold certified which means it's supposed to be efficient. Maybe you're unlucky and it's faulty.

An RX 470 is not that power hungry specially the Asus one.

Then again an off brand 550W PSU might be not as good as it's nominal values claim to be, now more than before. All PSU lose some of their capacity over time. If they are under pressure to provide the necessary power, running in higher temps (more with high loads) and being of low quality build compounds that capacity loss even more.

You can't test the PSU unless you have the tools and the know-how. As you said the old PSU gave you black screens but not shut downs. Maybe the old one was jst not enough in term of power delivery and the new one is faulty. Specially, because it shuts down and takes a while to turn back on.

May 5, 2019
Ah i mixed them up(lol) old one gives black screen with 15 sec delay then shutdown,new RAIDMAX gives black screen,sound in background,no shutdown,oops. :/
And what about the CPU-Z picture i posted through the discordapp.com?Shouldn't those two numbers be the same?
And is there anything i could do to stop this?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You said your drivers are the latest versions. So I don't think it's a matter of drivers. Change settings in the games (you can also clock the GPU and VRAM down a little) to make them less demanding on the GPU and see if it still does this. Only way I think you can make sure with certainty that it's the PSU is to test the system with another working good quality one.

The screenshot was added later to that post. No those numbers should not be the same. If you multiply the DRAM frequency by 2 (DDR2 RAM) the result is your RAM frequency; almost 3000Mhz.

It shows NB frequency which doesn't really exist anymore as the memory controller was moved inside the CPUs some years ago and there's no North Bridge controlling RAM like before. That I think is the uncore frequency of the CPU showing there and as far as I know if it's less than the QPI link freqnecy it's OK.

May 5, 2019
I tried changing video settings in the games causing the black screen to happen,i've noticed something:when i lift the v-sync limitation the black screen occurs more frequently,meaning that either cpu gpu or ram dont work well under load,either of them could be faulty.But before i upgraded my cpu ram and motherboard,i had black screens happen too,which means that its the gpu that is faulty(RX 470) could it possibly have some built in fabric error?
And could i increase or decrease the power limit,temp limit,core clock or memory clock (i can't change the core voltage) on the GPU to maybe resolve the problem(if it is the gpu that is faulty)

Last edited:

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If you can test the graphics cards in another system or another card in your system that would mean that the graphics card might be faulty.

Fabric error? I don't know, but there are components that get through QC with some minor faults that manifest later or the fact that components fails or break down and die at some point. Sometimes you are unlucky and get the faulty component that breaks down or dies sooner than expected.

Not sure how the BIOS and voltage regulation work on those cards. Since it's an Asus you can install Asus GPU Tweak II and then you can lower frequencies or downclock the card and see what happens.

You can wait and see what others like @rgd1101 @Dark Lord of Tech @USAFRet @CountMike @Mandark think.

May 5, 2019
Well i don't have another graphics card,though MSI AFTERBURNER won't let me change core voltage,but everything else i can mess around with,but i want to be safe when overclocking/underclocking,so by how much approximately could i oc/uc that my gpu doesnt overheat/underperform much?

I would like to hear what other people think though,so before i make any changes to the gpu i'm going to wait for a response from the people mentioned by you.