Screen Recording Stuttering/Lag - upgrade

sebastian_

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014
Hi, I have a question.

I want to do some screen recording - to be more specific - record full screen powerpoint presentation - my screen resolution is 1680x1050.
The problem is when I record the full screen and go slide by slide - the transitions and animations that I have used in presentation - do stutter and lag which is clearly visible.
I use camtasia for screen recording - screen capture frame rate is set to 30.

Which pc part is problematic in this situation ? CPU ? GPU ?

Will cpu upgrade for L5420 make things work smooth ?
I do have a possibility to get it for a really good price, do a mod and install it on my motherboard.

https://ark.intel.com/products/33929/Intel-Xeon-Processor-L5420-12M-Cache-2_50-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

Upgrade GPU ?

My pc spec :

CPU Pentium E6500 @ 2.93GHz
3,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
Geforce 9500gt
SATA II HDD 200GB

I would appreciate any answer :)
Thank you.

Sedivy

Estimable
I'd open up your task manager, do some screen capture till you see stuttering and then look at your cpu and memory usage. Are they maxed out at the very top?
If you want to monitor your gpu, you could try gpu-z. Instructions here: http://www.pcgamer.com/will-your-cpu-bottleneck-your-graphics-card/
It's meant for gamers but if you do data collection while using your capturing software, just like task manager, it'll show you if you're maxing out in usage.
So see what the graphs tell you at any given moment and figure out which part's at 100% and not budging.

sebastian_

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014

Thanks for answer :)

Well, I checked CPU and GPU usage when doing powerpoint slideshow when recording - during transitions and animations that are used in my presentation GPU usage hits 60% - 75%/ 80% and CPU usage is low around 30% - 40%/ 50%. I used GPU-Z for GPU monitoring and Windows 7 CPU Meter gadget for CPU monitoring.

Would upgrading GPU make things run smooth ?
I think transitions and animations in powerpoint are actually GPU dependent.
What do you think ?
What GPU would do the job ?
I could get something like GTX650 for example.

Sedivy

Estimable
That's...I would say it's neither gpu nor cpu then. If it's not spiking to 100% and kind of plateauing there for a while, then it's not the bottleneck. What about your memory? When you open up the task manager (hit ctrl+alt+delete and select show task manager), one of the windows will show you memory usage. Memory is usually critical for photoshop or any video editing so it wouldn't surprise me if you're choking with only 3 GB.

sebastian_

Honorable
Aug 3, 2014

Well, memory usage is low I would say - around 40% - 50% - according to Windows 7 CPU Meter gadget - it shows CPU and Memory Usage at the same time.