Screen Resolution / Display Settings will not change

smweis

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Hi all,

I'm running Windows 7 64 on a Lenovo 430s.

The issue I'm having is that when I go into Screen Resolution (or Display Settings), I cannot change anything. I click on changing the identity of the monitors, the screen resolution settings, etc. to change them, and they go right back without registering the change. It's like it's constantly refreshing the settings every .3 seconds.

I'm able to use Windows Key + P shortcut to extend my display to a second monitor (a TV via VGA), duplicate it, and use just the projector, but I can't change any of the settings. I have been able to do all of this up until now.

I've tried updating drivers, no luck. I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I installed f.Lux and Rainmeter in the past few weeks. They both start with start-up, but the problem persists when I quit them.

Thanks for any help :)

smweis

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Thanks for the tip. I already uninstalled both programs; no change.

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
Did Windows update your graphics driver?

Sometimes it does and it always ends in grief.

Also, I have seen many people over the last week that started to have problems about three or four weeks ago and uninstalling Windows updates has been the solution to many of those problems.

Personally, I think it is an attempt by the technology providers to steer us into upgrading all our antique and 'obsolete 2010 electronic devices.

smweis

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I've tried rolling back drivers to my graphics card and monitor....they're both from before I was having issues. No luck...

I also just noticed that there's a separate graphics properties setup provided by my graphics card - Intel HD 4000. When I open that setup screen, my mouse shows "refreshing" every second or so. I can click around, there. But it seems like my graphics card is refreshing in setup an awful lot....

himnextdoor

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013

Does that application appear in your Installed Programs list?

When was it installed?

Can you uninstall it?

Also, when you updated your graphics driver, did you uninstall all other graphics drivers from your Installed Programs list first?

smweis

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
It does not appear in my installed programs, but I tried to uninstall a few other Intel programs that were installed recently. No luck.

The Graphics and Media control panel appears when I right click my desktop and click "Graphics Properties", and it appears as one of the subheadings in my regular Control Panel. I cannot appear to uninstall it.

Yes I uninstalled all other graphics drivers when I tried un- and re-installing my drivers.

TRENDING THREADS