Screen Resolution Issue

Bycote

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I am fixing up an old Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop. The owner of this computer has been using Windows XP but I am replacing it with Windows 98 so they can actually get some work done instead of waiting for things to load all day and night.

The "upgrade" is almost complete, I just lack one thing. I cannot find a driver for the GeForce2 Go VGA for Windows 98. The Dell support page for this laptop contains one nVidia driver and it does not work for Windows 98. I've checked nVidia's site for drivers, but in their words "GeForce2 Go and Quadro2 Go are not supported in the NVIDIA reference drivers. Please consult your notebook's manufacturer for the latest driver."

I realize there may not be a driver out there that suits my needs, but if anyone can find one I will be very grateful. I have tried and failed.

Alternatively, maybe somebody can help me solve this problem without that driver. The issue is that with the screen resolution set at 640x480 only a very small portion of the center of the monitor actually displays anything, 84% of the monitor is blank. The native resolution of this monitor is 1600x1200 so if there is some trick or hack I can use to get Windows to use that resolution the problem should disappear and all will be right with this computer. Does anybody know if this is possible?

Bycote

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I will download those tonight and try them tomorrow since I'm on a 56k dial-up connection and I don't want to tie my phone line up all day. However, to be honest I see no reason at all to suspect that either of those will work since I've already tried and failed with other Forceware drivers and nVidia states bluntly that their drivers do not support the Go chips (notice also that my video card is not listed among the supported products for either of those drivers).

At this point I am becoming more interested in finding a trick or hack to make this thing display in 1600x1200 resolution. I'm sure it can't be as simple as hex editing a value in the default Windows driver or changing something in the Registry... but I don't know, does anybody else have any ideas?

There should be a setting in the BIOS to enable / disable screen stretch. That will at least display Windows full screen, but the resolution won't be any higher. You need to install a working video driver to get access to higher display resolutions. What OS did the laptop originally come with? There are Windows ME drivers available... I'd suggest trying those.

Bycote

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Thank you both for your effort. Unfortunately, we have still not resolved this issue as those drivers do not work and there is no option like that in this laptop's BIOS.

Zoron, the laptop originally had Windows ME on it. I will try those drivers when I give up on Windows 98 and decide to use Windows ME instead. Until then, I need Windows 98 drivers since I'm using Windows 98.

I have found something extremely interesting at the Dell support forum - http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/6397874.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen

The trouble is, I cannot seem to find the driver the thread author indicates he got working *and* I have no idea how to edit the INF file to recognize my GPU as the second poster explains. Are there any tech lords on this forum who would know how to do that? Or would anybody else please try their hand at finding that 14.70 driver?

The problem is, the site he links to is no longer there. All I can find are ME, 2000 and XP drivers. I'd definately recommend Win 2K over ME if you can't find 98 drivers. (Which would not be too surprising... though if an ME driver exists... it stands to reason a 98 driver should as well).

TRENDING THREADS