Screen resolution on windows 7, no 1680x1050?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

galgAmeth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
i have 64 bit windows 7, and a 22" moniter connected by vga with a 8800gt 512 mb, my monitor is natively 1680x 1050, but windows seven doesn't give me an option for that, just 1600x1024

is it just that nvidia doesn't have drivers for 1680x1050 on 64 bit windows 7 or what?

Adsinibiza

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Having read this as I had been using a VGA cable I decided to spend the money on a DVI cable before trying any of the software fixes mentioned.

I booted my PC having installed the cable and it came straight up in the native format ie 1650 x 1080 on ym 22" HD TV without having to change any settings or modify anything - colour and graphics are now top quality!

I would therefore suggest that this is tried before anything else!

Adam

Adsinibiza

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

Having read this as I had been using a VGA cable I decided to spend the money on a DVI cable before trying any of the software fixes mentioned. I have an NVidia G7600 and have been running it via a VGA cable experienceing the problems discussed.

I booted my PC having installed the cable and it came straight up in the native format ie 1650 x 1080 on my 22" HD TV without having to change any settings or modify anything - colour and graphics are now top quality!

I would therefore suggest that this is tried before anything else!

Hope this helps.

Adam

gks80

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
HI,

I have a Asus Essentio. I have connected my Acer Al2216W to the PC using a VGA cable. Although the monitor supports widescreen resolutions (16:9), somehow Windows 7 does not provide this option.

This computer also has a HDMI out and when connected to my other monitor Asus VK222H it supports 1920x1080 resolution.

Could someone please suggest a resolution. I already tried the powerstrip suggestion and it does not seem to work for this issue.

Thanks people.

Gaurav

G

THANK YOU!!!!

pafkok

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

hey i did evrything you suggested but i cant get the 1680x1050 resolution to appear as an option..
i have a geforce 9600 gt and a sumsung 2233bw monitor which both support this resolution....my os is windows 7 64 bit.
note that when i uninstall the drivers of the monitor and graphics card completly including the windows drivers it allows me to choose a resolution of 1600x1024 but when i install them it allows me to choose only 1280x1024.its really weird
do you have any suggestions

deonsoul

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010

hi just wanted to say that i am having problems when i change my screen resolution the background goes black but i dont have nvdia instead i have ati radeon hd 4750 so i dont know what to do can u please help me?

bogobogo

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Thank Jason I have a iiyama monitor with only one analog VGA port, so your solution with Powerstrip was the only one who worked for me.
I just want to clarify the following issue :
- the buggy driver for me is not the one for the graphic card, changing this did nothing to the solution of the probem.
- the problem come from the driver of the monitor itself : if you go to :
a. go to my computer right click
b . go to properties
c. go to devise manager
d. monitors
c. Your monitor might be listed but doubtfull. it is more than likely listed as generic non pnp devise
d. right click genericnonn pnp or your monitor if listed.
e. o tto properties
f. click driver tab
g. click on driver detail

Before creating a new driver with Powerstrip you will see that Windows has choosen the file :
c:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\monitor.sys
From what I understood this is the faulty file which we must replace.
Am I right?

Thanks again.

gobb

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I tried the bird391's instructions. I get to the point where I want to install the customer driver. But when I try to load the custom driver, Windows give me the following error message, and I am unable to load the custom driver:

"The best driver for your device is already installed. Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date".

Anyone have any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.