Question Screen sometimes displays weird lines

Apr 11, 2019
Okay, since I have found nothing on this problem anywhere I will post my question here.
I have recently build a new PC and brought everything new. Had no direct problems with anything but this:
Exactly one vertical row of Pixels of my Screen suddenly changes into a random color for roughly 1/10 of a second or so, long enough for me to notice.
It immediately changes back, nothing stuck and no dead pixels that all I would say I can tell.
But since this mostly happens 1-5 times in 30 minutes or so, then stops for hours or overall and at some other points happens again, it gets pretty annoying and I would appreciate any help I can get.
Moreover there is no particular row on which this happens all the time, I would say nearly all rows have done this do this once to me at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help.

It could be the monitor, cable or GPU. What monitor do you have? Are you overclocking it? What GPU do you have? How old is it? What cable are you using, VGA, DVI, HDMI or Displayport?

Try to use a different cable and if this issue doesn't go away you have to test your system with another monitor. If the artefacts are still appearing on a different display then something is going on with the GPU.

Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for the fast reply.

Ok first, my PC:
Intel Core i5 9600K 6x 3.70GHz So.1151 WOF
16GB (2x 8192MB) Corsair Vengeance LPX LP schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-36 Dual Kit
MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC Intel Z390 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 mATX Retail
250GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7S250BW)
600 Watt be quiet! PURE POWER 11 600W CM
8GB Gainward GeForce RTX 2080 Phantom GLH Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 1xHDMI 2.0 / 1xUSB-C / 3xDisplayPort (Retail)
27" (68,58cm) Acer B7 B277Ubmiipprzx schwarz 2560x1440 1xHDMI / 1xVGA / 1xDisplayPort (75Hz Display, Freesync, however the new GSync for everyone seems to work fine)

I use a Displayport 1.2 Cable and have currently no other cables or Displays or PCs to test if any of the Hardware is faulty.
In addition I had XMP active, put my SSD on raid and changed the Fan curves, nothing more in terms of "Overclocking".
I'm will try to run 2-3 days without XMP and see if maybe that is the cause, since the Ram has already given me problems when I tried to set it to 3200Mhz (PC crashes at some point if I do).
Also if I may, I would argue that my Hardware directly is not faulty, since when I play games with nothing in the background or maybe just Firefox running there are no Problems at all.
It only happens when I usually have Honeyview or Firefox open, strangely it happened yesterday the moment I had exactly these two open then also started up Steam to download TF2 and minimized it.
Upon returning to reading Comics the thing mentioned above happened ~3 times then stopped for the rest of the day.

Last edited:
Overclocking the CPU or the RAM can't cause this issue. On the other hand overclocking the GPU can definitely cause this. This issue doesn't necessarily point to faulty hardware. However a bad display configuration or if you are trying to overclock the monitor beyond its default refresh rate can cause artefacts. Additionally this could also be a GPU driver or software issue so you have to make sure that you are using their latest versions (especially the GPU driver).

Now if it only happens with some specific software running and not during gaming then this could be caused by a software bug and it shouldn't concern you a lot. It just seems to be a minor issue. But still should try to test your system with another cable or/and display. Also try to plug the monitor into the 2 other displayport outputs of your graphics card and you should also try to plug your monitor to your graphics card with a HDMI cable and check if it makes a difference.

Finally keep in mind that if you try to G-Sync on a Freesync display artefacts like this can appear. Nvidia said that its can't guarantee that the picture quality will be perfect with a Freesync display and picture quality issues are definitely possible, like flickering and artefacts. Therefore if you want the best possible G-sync experience you do have to get a G-Sync display. So keep in mind that G-sync may be causing this (if you have it enabled) since this could definitely be a display synchronisation issue. Good luck.

Apr 11, 2019
Thanks for the reply, I mainly wanted to find out if it is something serious and if i should consider shipping back hardware.
If it really is only what you said and mainly software related then that's all I need to hear.
I believe I also read on the Windows helper site that some software isn't 100% compatible with 75Hz for example, maybe this causes this.
However maybe I will report back in a few days since I'm still testing if not the Ram had something to do with this, since currently with XMP turned off I'm experience no troubles.