Screen Teaing issues, huge fps drops, and freezing.

mrhoppsmc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hello,

Well, to say the least, I have been very frustrated with my PC the last few years. I don't remember how long I have had these issues but I literally cant play any games. I have changed out all my PC parts and still have the exact same issues with screen tearing, fps drops to 5 fps from 60 and freezing at points in the game. My following specs are below.

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB
AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Corsair VS650W PSU
ASUS TUF MOBO B450
SAMSUNG EVO 860 60 GB Boot Drive
Patriot Torch 250 GB
Seagate 2 TB
Windows 10 64 Bit
ASUS VE278H 27"

Solution
Oh crap. Okay, so the first thing to do is, DO NOT USE THE DRIVE ON WHICH THE IMPORTANT FILES HAD BEEN. They are still there on the drive, but if you use that drive, you might overwrite them. So do not boot to that drive, and do not write any files to that drive. Do not interact with it in any way.

Honestly, at this point, I'd recommend you contact a professional firm that performs computer repair and data recovery. There is software available that will recover your data, but it requires installing another operating system to another drive - because you have to boot to a drive that's not the drive containing the data to be recovered. But we've already established that you are having trouble installing a clean OS.

I recently had...

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
So your old build had the same problems?

Let me pose the question this way: what did you NOT replace? I mean, if you replaced everything, then you're basically talking about two unrelated computers having the same problem, which is remarkable.

Did you also do a clean OS install?

My hypothesis is that whatever parts you didn't replace are responsible. (I'm counting the OS as a part. If you didn't do a clean OS install, then do that.)

On the other hand, if you replaced literally everything - including the OS install - so that the two computers share literally nothing whatsoever in common - neither hardware nor software - then I'm stumped.

mrhoppsmc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Well, I guess I didn't replace everything, the SSD and HD are the same as well as the OS and the Monitor.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
"Well I did do a Clean Install but for some reason it said cannot reset at the very end of it. Any ideas?"

I am not familiar with that error, but that sounds suspicious and problematic. You should be able to do a clean install. In fact, if you replaced the motherboard, you absolutely must do a clean install if you expect the system to work.

So the fact that you couldn't perform a clean install is, I suspect, the source of your problems.

I don't know why Windows wouldn't let you do a clean install, but try reformatting one of your drives - it doesn't matter which one. Just pick a drive and reformat it. Then, install Windows to that drive, and select that drive as your boot drive.

Hopefully, if you reformat the drive, it will be clean, and Windows will let you perform a clean install without a hitch.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
To make sure you reformat the whole drive - and not just a single partition on the drive, do this:

In the Start Menu, search for "disk management". You should see an option, "Create and format hard disk partitions."

You'll see every physical drive on your computer, and each physical drive will be divided among all its partitions. Right click a partition and select "Delete volume". Keep doing that for a particular physical drive, until the entire drive is "Unallocated". At that point, you know the whole drive is unformatted.

https://imgur.com/a/j8R1iW9

Note that you cannot do this to the partitions associated with the Windows installation that you've booted into. So if you have 3 drives, and Windows is installed to one of them, and you've booted to it, you'll only be able to format the other 2 drives.

Once you've formatted a drive, you should be able to clean install Windows to that drive.

mrhoppsmc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Okay will do! Thank you so much for the help will let you know if it works :)

mrhoppsmc

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I have now officially dug myself a hole. I deleted important user files and cannot access the internet. Is there a way to recover lost files? I did not have a backup for it of any kind.

mikewinddale

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2016
Oh crap. Okay, so the first thing to do is, DO NOT USE THE DRIVE ON WHICH THE IMPORTANT FILES HAD BEEN. They are still there on the drive, but if you use that drive, you might overwrite them. So do not boot to that drive, and do not write any files to that drive. Do not interact with it in any way.

Honestly, at this point, I'd recommend you contact a professional firm that performs computer repair and data recovery. There is software available that will recover your data, but it requires installing another operating system to another drive - because you have to boot to a drive that's not the drive containing the data to be recovered. But we've already established that you are having trouble installing a clean OS.

I recently had success using EaseUS data recovery software. I had lost data on a USB flash drive, and it recovered everything. https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/

However, as I said, you have to have a working operating system installation from which to run any data recovery software. You also have to have another hard drive where you can put all the recovered files. You don't want to put the recovered files on the hard drive they were recovered from, because you might overwrite yet another set of lost files. So in the end, you need several hard drives, and a working OS install. It seems like you're missing some parts of that equation.

Solution