Question Screen tearing and desktop freeze ?

Nov 24, 2021
I've assembled my first PC a few months ago. Since the first bootup I've experienced problems with the Asus logo tearing. As soon as I enter the windows login screen the tearing stops (see video 1). This used to happen maybe 7/10 times when booting up my PC. Now it has gotten worse and other issues occur. I am running my monitor (LG 27GN950-B) at 165 Hz with HDR enabled. I found a way to provoke the screen tearing to occur when i change the refresh rate to anything other than 165 Hz (see video 2 and 3). So, maybe the tearing is caused by something messing up the refresh rate. I also experience tearing when launching games in full screen mode. (alt + tab) out and back in to the game solves this issue for some reason (see video 4). When playing games i will at random points experince major frame rate drops for a couple of seconds. This is odd for a game like Skyrim as i am running the game with an RTX 2080ti. My screen will often freeze when i am working on my desktop. The only way i can solve right now is to hit the off switch on my PC. That is pretty much what is wrong with my PC at the moment. To sum up:

• How do i stop screen tearing to occur when i boot up my PC and change the refresh rate? Also in games.
  • How do i prevent pricture freezing when working on my desktop? Also in games.
Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4

Specs
Operating system:
Windows 10
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: ROG STRIX X570-I GAMING (AM4)
Graphics: GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM: 32 GB

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS