Question Screen tearing at desktop?

poorbugger

Distinguished
So i build my friend a gaming pc. Everything is new except the gpu which i sold to him. Gpu works fine on my display before and i gamed on it and everything. Anyway, he's been saying that he has frequent like the screen moves down and up for a split second which causes the words to be split in half. A similar effect to screen tear. He said that it's quite frequent that it happens twice every hour when he's just in desktop and typing. He said no such thing happens in games. When i was there to inspect the pc myself, nothing happens for an hour. I scroll through thousands of words on a pdf, ran heaven benchmark, ran prime95 and ran some games. Everything seems normal to me. Gpu temps hovering around 37 to 40C idle while cpu temps are 35 to 40 idle. Gpu temps hovering around 75C at heaven benchmark at extreme preset. Tdp is 130w to 150w. Gpu usage is 100%. Driver version is 20.8.3. Any ideas that causing it or is it just placebo effect?

Specs are as followed:
Sapphire pulse rx 580 8gb
Ryzen 3 3100 with stock cooler
Asrock b450m pro4
XPG Adata GAMMIX D30 8GB 3000Mhz DDR4 x 2
cooler master masterwatt 550w 80+ bronze
Tecware nexus m tg
Silicon power a55 512 gb ssd

Acer monitor 24'' ek241y 75hz

Lutfij

Titan
If I was the one who built that PC, I'd have given a 650W version of that PSU. If I had access to something more reliably built, I'd have given my friend a better built unit with at least 550W of power for the entire system.

You might want to make sure that the motherboard is on the latest BIOS update. Then check and see which version of Windows 10 your friend is on. I'd use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and then reinstall the latest drivers on the platform after downloading them from AMD's support site.

poorbugger

Distinguished
If I was the one who built that PC, I'd have given a 650W version of that PSU. If I had access to something more reliably built, I'd have given my friend a better built unit with at least 550W of power for the entire system.

You might want to make sure that the motherboard is on the latest BIOS update. Then check and see which version of Windows 10 your friend is on. I'd use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and then reinstall the latest drivers on the platform after downloading them from AMD's support site.
Yeah but he didnt want to give out the budget for a 650w. I also did some research before buying the psu. It was the best i can get at that price point in my country and i browse through some forum post that 550w is more than enough for this build. Power supply calculator which isnt very accurate but still, it gave me a result of 400w on load so i figured 550w is more than enough as he's a casual gamer. I barely squeezed in this build at 500 usd. Anyway, I took the pc to my home and the monitor as well. First of all, i opened up heaven benchmark and let it run at extreme preset for 2 hours+ this time. No artifacts at all. Nothing unusual. Temps at 75C and peaked at 76C the whole test. After that, i play the game that he played which is Paladins. Again, no artifacts or screen tearing. If there is, it wasnt that frequent like he described because i enabled the vsync on (he also enabled it on). Windows 10 2004. After 2 hours+ of stress testing, i exited to desktop. No screen tearing or anything that he described. I'm using everything that he's using except for the hdmi cable. His hdmi cable came with the monitor. Drivers are already the latest. 20.8.3 was reported by many users to be stable for polaris gpu. So i cant figure out what's wrong. The problems only exist when i'm not there.