Question Screen tearing at the bottom of screen with Freesync monitor

nekminnit

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Hi. I am noticing issues with my 75hz freesync monitor (LG 24MP59G). When playing games, I cap FPS to 72 using Radeon Chill. Despite the FPS being within the freesync window, I see tearing at the bottom part of my screen, close to the edge. This tearing occurs when FPS is capped at any value within 61-75 i.e tearing is present if I change the FPS cap to 61, 65, 69 and so on. Setting a cap at 60FPS eliminates all tearing from what I can see, but this solution defeats the purpose of me having a 75hz freesync monitor as I want to get frames above 60 without tearing. I am trying to play with at least 70 FPS. The only other solution is to enable vsync which introduces input lag in many games. Enabling enhanced sync does not solve this issue. It seems like Freesync is broken? Has anyone else experienced this?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Are you sure Freesync is enabled in the monitor menu itself? I ask because with fps within Freesync range, you shouldn't be getting input lag with Vsync on. Vsync enables itself if fps goes over refresh but should be temporarily disabled behind the scenes when under. Sounds like Freesync isn't working for some reason.

What display cable are you using? Although AMD cards support Freesync over Hdmi, if Hdmi is what you're using, might be worth giving Displayport a try.

nekminnit

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Are you sure Freesync is enabled in the monitor menu itself? I ask because with fps within Freesync range, you shouldn't be getting input lag with Vsync on. Vsync enables itself if fps goes over refresh but should be temporarily disabled behind the scenes when under. Sounds like Freesync isn't working for some reason.

What display cable are you using? Although AMD cards support Freesync over Hdmi, if Hdmi is what you're using, might be worth giving Displayport a try.
Freesync is definitely enabled in the monitor and Radeon settings. I am using a Displayport cable. I tried in game vsync off, enhanced sync on and 72FPS cap again, but tearing is still on that bottom part of the screen. It is not very obvious but still noticeable when moving the camera around.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Does monitor have OSD display for Hz? Check frequency is changing along with the frame rate. If it's changing then it's working.

Check with Custom Resolution Utility and see what Freesync range your monitor is currently set at. If it's somehow below 75Hz (doubt it but maybe), then you can change that with this program.

nekminnit

Commendable
Nov 11, 2018
Have you tried Adrenaline vsync: off unless application specifies and enabled in game?
Yes that it is my default global option.

Does monitor have OSD display for Hz? Check frequency is changing along with the frame rate. If it's changing then it's working.

Check with Custom Resolution Utility and see what Freesync range your monitor is currently set at. If it's somehow below 75Hz (doubt it but maybe), then you can change that with this program.
I installed the app and it shows this so it seems ok? https://gyazo.com/f4d8824e9dcd3dd140a0eec0a64f501e