[SOLVED] Screen Tearing at the bottom of the screen

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Here's the drama: I used to play everything without a single trace of screen tearing thanks to GSYNC + FAST SYNC + FREESYNC MONITOR but since Nvidia's latest drivers I'm having these bizarre screen tearings that only appears at the down bottom of the screen.
I've tested Call of Duty: Modern Warfare which is the game I've been playing the most both in windowed mode and fullscreen and the issue persists.

These are my specs:
ASUS ROG Strix B450F Gaming
Ryzen 7 2700x (OC to 4.2 Ghz)
2x8 G.Skill Trident Z 3000 Mhz
MSi ARMOR 8G RTX 2070

My monitor is an LG Ultrawide 29UM69G-B.
I'm using the latest Nvidia drivers: 456.55.

I've always used RTSS to lock the frame limit to 74 since my monitor's refresh rate is 75hz and it used to work like a charm but since the Nvidia Driver for the new Flight Simulator I've been having this issue. I've also tried to lock the frame rate inside the game without the RTSS but the screen tearing still happens.
Does anyone knows what can be done to fix this? I'm almost giving up on using an Nvidia Card and buying myself a AMD card.

Last edited:
Screen tearing happens when the frame output of the graphics card and the frame presentation of the monitor do not match.
Gsync and such matches the frame output frequency to match the monitor.
I wonder if you are circumventing this driver capability by artificially limiting to 74hz.

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Screen tearing happens when the frame output of the graphics card and the frame presentation of the monitor do not match.
Gsync and such matches the frame output frequency to match the monitor.
I wonder if you are circumventing this driver capability by artificially limiting to 74hz.

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I'm using a display port cable.
I tried to run the game without limiting the frame limit to 74. I was getting between 100 and 120 frames per second on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare MP and guess what? There was screen tearing everywhere. Not just at the down bottom of the screen.
I've also tried to enable vsync inside the game and the screen tearing was gone but the input lag was noticible. What annoys me is the fact that this preset (gsync + fasy sync + freesync monitor + RTTS) was working perfectly but since the latests nvidia drivers I'm having this problem =\

Last edited:

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
Why not roll back the driver to when it worked properly?

Here is an informative article on fastsynd and such:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/13

The problem with this "solution" is that the old drivers aren't properly optimized for the newer releases.
I've tried to turn on the vsync option in the Nvidia Control Panel and all the tearing was gone but I've noticed some input lag and performance impact. Then I decided to turn off the vsync in the Nvidia Control Panel with the GSync on and the screen tearings at the bottom of the screen still persists which makes me think that Fast Sync isn't working at all.
At this point I don't know what do to. :(
I've tested other games and the result is pretty much the same: Screen tearing, majorly at the down bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

Algalorrd

Reputable
May 30, 2019
I've installed the Nvidia Driver 451.67 (from July 9, 2020 ) and guess what? The Fast Sync is working perfectly again.
No sign of screen tearing.
I guess this is the only "soluton" I will find since the latests drivers are messed up and Nvidia seems to be too busy fixing the issues with the 3000 series.