Screen tearing elimination

c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014
Hello,

Going through toms best buying advice I found LG 24gm77 to be an excellent monitor due to its fast performance and almost ips like colours due to its 8bit panel.

However, the question that makes me wonder is - I have a gtx 960 4gb strix which is a great card for the price and offers 1080p 60fps at high/ultra on most games. But there are times that on my present 60hz monitor there are some screen tearings which are removed by vsync. If I buy the lg monitor will i get screen tears? If yes, most probably the best way to remove it will be vsync but wont that limit my gaming to 60fps, which in turn makes it pointless to go for the monitor?

What do you guys think? Also tell me what happens when a game runs uncapped, say 60 - 100 fps on lg monitor which is a 144hz monitor.

Thanks btw.

Solution
If you are getting fps which is different than the monitors refresh rate screen tearing will occur, doesn't matter if its more or less. If it's more then the gpu sends a frame while the monitor is still working with the old one and thus a tearing happens, viceversa if the fps is loewr than the refresh rate. That's why you need Vsync because it matches the timing of the framerates and the refresh rate of the monitor. Gsync does that way better, regardless of the FPS but is expensive. However if you get a 144hz refresh rate monitor then even at lower frame rate it will look better, because even if when you receive a torn frame then you will have at least 1-2 full frames which will make up for it and you most likely won't notice since the...

Beyond Names

Reputable
Jan 22, 2016
A cheap solution is to overclock your monitor to around 75hz, the 960 won't be able to push games far pass 80 fps anyway on decent settings, speaking from personal experience and I love my 960. Its really easy to do and works a charm. You can just go into the NVidia control panel and set a custom resolution.

c2yCharlie

Honorable
Mar 27, 2014

When i play games like CS i easily get 140fps on max settings. This is one reason why I want the monitor so as to run old games and the less demandin new games at around 80+ fps.

But since I have a gtx 960, many demanding titles run at only 60fps avg and fluctuates from 40-70fps. In this case, will the game look non smooth with jittery gameplay? That is only my question. It would be nice if you clarify it a bit more elaborately. When I game at say 30 -60 fps, my ips panel has a lot of screen tearings. Will I get the same thing if I go with the lg?

Thanks for your reply.

If you are getting fps which is different than the monitors refresh rate screen tearing will occur, doesn't matter if its more or less. If it's more then the gpu sends a frame while the monitor is still working with the old one and thus a tearing happens, viceversa if the fps is loewr than the refresh rate. That's why you need Vsync because it matches the timing of the framerates and the refresh rate of the monitor. Gsync does that way better, regardless of the FPS but is expensive. However if you get a 144hz refresh rate monitor then even at lower frame rate it will look better, because even if when you receive a torn frame then you will have at least 1-2 full frames which will make up for it and you most likely won't notice since the refresh rate itself is high.

Solution