Screen Tearing even with V-sync turned on

bebop92

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Dear Internet,

Please keep me from killing my computer.

So my problem TODAY is that all of a sudden v-sync does nothing to stop screen tearing plaguing my games.

I have a GTX 670 graphics card with a 60Hz monitor. There is considerable tearing.

I was playing Far Cry 3 not two hours ago and everything was great. Having a gay old time. Then left the computer for 20 minutes. Didn't shut the computer down! Just left it. Turned Far Cry 3 back on and BAM. Screen tearing.

And it's not just Far Cry 3. Every game I have now has screen tearing. I'm like... WHAT?! WHERE DID THIS COME FROM!?

I have tried every possible combination in NVIDIA Control Panel. I have no idea. This is the 5th problem my PC has suffered in the last 7 days. It has never had this much trouble before. I hate it.

My framerate is still a solid 60fps at all times. Seriosuly... what the hell is going on?

Thanks for any support.

bebop92

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
Yes I have the latest drivers installed. Just checked. Far Cry 3 doesn't have PhysX so that can't be what's causing it. I have reconnected all cables to both the PC and monitor.

I have tried to force V-Sync through Nvidia Control Panel. No effect. And there is a windows update that is currently in my option downloads that will reset the driver to the previous update but I havn't installed it. And won't.

Here's an interesting development; when I'm in windows mode, there's no screen tearing. What the hell is going on?

Jul 27, 2018
can someone explain this to me pls : on Doom at 4k with gtx 1080 and vsync on I get screen tearing but if I limit fps with a third party programm its perfect.
Im not really familiar with all of those things so I dont understand

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

You should start your own thread when asking something like this or mods will yell at you lol.

VSYNC will only eliminate tearing if fps is at the refresh rate of your monitor, if fps falls below the refresh rate it will tear even if it's for a split second that an FPS counter overlay may not even show. So for example with a 60hz monitor vsync will eliminate tearing at 60fps or 59fps on some monitors. And also at exactly half the refresh rate so 30fps should have no tearing either.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

You cant really, unless fps happens to be sitting exactly at the refresh rate of your monitor which is not going to happen. It tends to not be noticeable on high refresh rate monitors with a game running above 60fps in my experience but it is still there.

And really start your own thread this one is 5 years old.