Screen Tearing (globally)

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Hi guys,

I am experiencing screen tearing just everywhere there is movement on the screen (vertical and horizontal). It is most noticeable while scrolling in web browsers. Also dragging window boxes, youtube vids etc causes tearing.

Games such as BF3 even have some slight screen tearing even with V-Sync and Triple Buffering enabled.

I have:

Enabled V-Sync (globally via NVIDIA control panel)
Triple Buffering (globally via NVIDIA control panel)
Installed latest GPU driver
Installed latest monitor driver
Monitor refresh rate set to 60Hz

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S27B550
GPU: Gigabyte 670GTX

If anyone could help me alleviate the tearing it would be excellent,

Cheers!

That just sounds wrong. You shouldn't have to turn on v-sync or triple buffering globally. You really shouldn't see any tearing in a 2D setting if everything is working correctly.

Is your refresh rate set at 60Hz for that monitor?

Have you tried installing the latest Nvidia drivers?

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

About a year old. I've never overclocked it myself but it's an OC version.

Also its in the 8x PCI-e slot due to the graphics drivers crashing if it's in the 16x (another problem in itself)

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

I think it has 3 years warranty so should be covered. Could hardware damage cause screen tearing? It still runs perfectly fine apart from the tearing

edit: Res was set to 1920 x 1080, set the rest to 800 x 600 and tearing is gone
also, according to monitor, refresh rate is set to: 67.5 horizontal, 60 vertical

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I just figured out what was causing the tearing and have fixed it, phew.

It was a recent change I made, thus the recent onset of tearing.

I set my windows theme to 'Classic', turns out that was causing the tearing. I set it back to Windows 7 and compared it, there was no tearing. I set it back to Classic and there was once again tearing.

I now have it set to Windows 7 theme and it's running great.

Thanks guys for offering help, it is much appreciated.

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Was a nice trip down memory lane hehe, the classic theme should be called 'ye olde beige PC simulator'. Yea it was definitely one of those more obscure, abstract problems; who woulda thought it would be a theme. I'm definitely adding it to my knowledge base also, could come in handy as a fix in future.

Cheers for your help mate, the support has been most appreciated

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Cheers bigcyco1 for your support also, I'm super happy and relieved it's fixed (I was starting to think it was hardware damage).

P.S. trust me to get get dumb problems like this happen haha

If you see tearing vertically and horizontally, that isn't tearing at all. Tearing can only happen horizontally.

You probably have a bad cable (or it just isn't fully plugged in). A bad GPU or display might cause something like this.

Maybe you can video it and show us what is happening.

TOZetsumei

Reputable
Nov 9, 2015
I had the same problem with a GTX 980, it was infuriating me. Solved by opening Nvidia Control panel, go to "Adjust desktop size and Position" under "Display" and setting scaling from aspect ratio to none. Hope this helps some one else.

Ac3s

Commendable
Dec 16, 2016
Are you kidding me, Simo606 you have no idea how long I have been playing games with screen tearing and this issue also happened on everything else from watching youtube clips, videos, or simply scrolling down in text pages or web browsers.
I tried so many things, I searched the internet like a mad-man trying to find a solution and was even considering buying a new graphics card that would synchronize with those new G-sync monitors from NVIDIA...and all I had to do was change my windows theme 'Classic' to 'Aero-Windows 7'.

THANK YOU!

Simo606

Honorable
May 11, 2012

I'm glad it worked out for you :)

KeltronX

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014

Awesome, apparently that was my problem too. THANKS!