Question Screen tearing, not smooth gameplay with 144hz monitor.

Jan 31, 2023
My specs: rtx 3060, i5 11400f, 32 gb ram 3200, 650w psu. Only options that are set in bios are: xmp, resize bar and msi bios tower cooler preset (cpu tdp is limited to 135, not to stock 65). The problem of tearing just pisses me off, I cant find a place for myself. I have a 144hz gsync monitor (lg ultragear) and it works good in singleplayer games, where my fps is not higher than refresh rate of the monitor. Talking about fast and competitive games like cod, cs go or r6 sige, it is unplayable. My fps can reach about 300 in cs and r6, 160-170 in cod and my gameplay is so choppy and jittery, that I have a feeling of extremely low fps, but it is absolutely stable, frametime graph is also straight as hell. I was advised to limit my fps to 144, and it really works, gameplay becomes much smoother, BUT insane screen tearing occurs. I cant stand seeing this awful lines in different parts of the monitor! Please, dont tell me to lock fps 3 frames below 144, enable vsync and all this stuff, I DO NOT WANT TO USE ANY TYPES OF SYNCS IN FAST COMPETITIVE GAMES, it is really awful. I had a chance to use another pc’s in gamer pc clubs or at my friends house and EVERYTHING WAS PERFECT with no syncs and with unlimited fps. Moreover, their pc specs were lower than mine (2060 and i5 10400) and it was still extremely smooth. What can cause this problem? Why is it so? What can I do with it? How do other people play 200 fps on 144 screen with no problems, and why am I so unlucky?

What did I try?
-Changing bios settings
-reinstalling windows
-reinstalling drivers with ddu and clean installation
-cleaning every part of my pc
-adding more ram
-changing psu
-trying another cable (displayport) and monitor
-turning gsync on and off

I am sorry if I sound too rude, I really dont know what to do with this problem. Ive spent pretty much money on this setup and I am so upset with this unbelievable screen tearing problem, I am really broken inside. I appreciate any help, please, guys, I know there is something that I miss.

You WILL get tearing without vsync on (or gsync) it is the ENTIRE REASON THEY EXIST. How apparent the tearing is depends on the monitor (some do frame doubling just like DLSS3 but these are usually TV's). It mostly depends on the monitors response time as well as any post processing done. If there are solutions specific to the monitor I cannot say as I do not know. None of the things you have tried unfortunately will have any effect on screen tearing except for Gsync. If you did not know once you hit or exceed the refresh rate for your display Gsync switches to Vsync type behaviour, which is one of the reasons it's recommended to cap below the monitors refresh rate.

Jan 31, 2023
You WILL get tearing without vsync on (or gsync) it is the ENTIRE REASON THEY EXIST. How apparent the tearing is depends on the monitor (some do frame doubling just like DLSS3 but these are usually TV's). It mostly depends on the monitors response time as well as any post processing done. If there are solutions specific to the monitor I cannot say as I do not know. None of the things you have tried unfortunately will have any effect on screen tearing except for Gsync. If you did not know once you hit or exceed the refresh rate for your display Gsync switches to Vsync type behaviour, which is one of the reasons it's recommended to cap below the monitors refresh rate.
Okay, I understand, but why another pc’ s that even worse do handle perfect smoothness and stability with 300+ fps on 144hz in cs go fo example? Why only my gameplay is unplayable? I understand that tearing will not be gone without syncs, but it shouldn’t be as choppy as mine. What should I do? Play cs go with 140 fps lock like nobody does? I have never seen any fps lockers in my cs go surrounding

Jan 31, 2023
You can't compare to other random systems like this and just extrapolate. The obvious thing to do would be to test using some kind of sync. You rule out problems by trying things.
Vsync and gsync work okay if we are talking about smoothness, but it is not a good idea to lock fps and use v sync in e sports titles, so I need a solution that will give me a chance to play on recommended settings for these games, I am sure 3060 can handle it.

Vsync and gsync work okay if we are talking about smoothness, but it is not a good idea to lock fps and use v sync in e sports titles, so I need a solution that will give me a chance to play on recommended settings for these games, I am sure 3060 can handle it.

If I had more knowledge about the specific displays preferred amongst the competitive shooter scene I could advise you better, I'm hoping someone might weigh in. What I CAN tell you is the display types (IPS, TN, VA OLED) differ greatly in how much tearing or ghosting is apparent. Perhaps it would be wise to find out which displays others in the competitive shooter genre favour and do some research in that area. My limited experience in the field I recall TN panels to be the favourite, I'm not sure if that has changed. I am in the market for displays myself but I'm interested in image quality more than a high refresh rate as my gaming habits are a little more pedestrian than yours.

Jan 31, 2023
If I had more knowledge about the specific displays preferred amongst the competitive shooter scene I could advise you better, I'm hoping someone might weigh in. What I CAN tell you is the display types (IPS, TN, VA OLED) differ greatly in how much tearing or ghosting is apparent. Perhaps it would be wise to find out which displays others in the competitive shooter genre favour and do some research in that area. My limited experience in the field I recall TN panels to be the favourite, I'm not sure if that has changed. I am in the market for displays myself but I'm interested in image quality more than a high refresh rate as my gaming habits are a little more pedestrian than yours.
I have lg ultragear monitor 27‘ 2k 144hz, it is tn, i guess, but I am sure this is not problem of a monitor, I have tried to change it

I have lg ultragear monitor 27‘ 2k 144hz, it is tn, i guess, but I am sure this is not problem of a monitor, I have tried to change it

Check and see what others are running then. As I said I don't have much knowledge in the area, I was just trying to help focus your troubleshooting based on what I do know. Check reviews specific to your monitor as well, some in monitor settings can have a massive impact on things like this. There's lots of information out there on that topic and perhaps in the meantime someone might pop by here with some relevant advice.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Looked at LG site (But directs me to Au since i live there) and doesn't appear to be any tn panels listed in Ultragear line. If you could double check what model yours is from the back and cross reference it from LG site then we could look at what settings it has in OSD menu. Often monitors have settings to improve visual processing ie faster gaming modes. Could compensate for something i guess.

These other computers you played on, are you sure these had 144hz monitors and were set to 144Hz? Fps over refresh isn't going to look good most times (like missing pages out of a flip book) but sometimes i have come across people thinking visually it can look ok. So you're not the only one, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm imagining the difference could be refresh being more even rather than 144 so maybe try 120 with unlimited fps. Or try capping fps to 288 and see if that looks any better.

Vsync is disabled behind the scenes when fps is inside Gsync range since im not feeling input lag in harder to run games and if memory serves me correctly playing an easy to run game like L4D Vsync had capped fps to 143. Not sure if that's the case with every game since my specs can't reach that high constantly in other titles but seems normal behavior between Gsync + Vsync since Gsync alone isn't designed to cap fps so it is useless if fps goes beyond it's range, reason for having Vsync on.

Another thing about capping fps below refresh, i used to do that on a 60hz tele back in the day lol. 59fps with Vsync on, besides the no tearing bit, that 1 fps less noticeably eliminated input lag. I got that from someone long time a go and was quite amazed, and confused why that would work. Just saying, 144Hz with Vsync on shouldn't give you input lag? Unless Vsync isn't capping fps to 143 like it did for me in L4D.

Also there's CSGO tick rate to consider and what is the ideal frame rate to match. I suppose you know exactly how much you need from experience and feel. If nothing i've said helps then maybe try your monitor elsewhere on different hardware to see if it is your monitor, else, 300Hz~ monitor man :sneaky:

Jan 31, 2023
Looked at LG site (But directs me to Au since i live there) and doesn't appear to be any tn panels listed in Ultragear line. If you could double check what model yours is from the back and cross reference it from LG site then we could look at what settings it has in OSD menu. Often monitors have settings to improve visual processing ie faster gaming modes. Could compensate for something i guess.

These other computers you played on, are you sure these had 144hz monitors and were set to 144Hz? Fps over refresh isn't going to look good most times (like missing pages out of a flip book) but sometimes i have come across people thinking visually it can look ok. So you're not the only one, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'm imagining the difference could be refresh being more even rather than 144 so maybe try 120 with unlimited fps. Or try capping fps to 288 and see if that looks any better.

Vsync is disabled behind the scenes when fps is inside Gsync range since im not feeling input lag in harder to run games and if memory serves me correctly playing an easy to run game like L4D Vsync had capped fps to 143. Not sure if that's the case with every game since my specs can't reach that high constantly in other titles but seems normal behavior between Gsync + Vsync since Gsync alone isn't designed to cap fps so it is useless if fps goes beyond it's range, reason for having Vsync on.

Another thing about capping fps below refresh, i used to do that on a 60hz tele back in the day lol. 59fps with Vsync on, besides the no tearing bit, that 1 fps less noticeably eliminated input lag. I got that from someone long time a go and was quite amazed, and confused why that would work. Just saying, 144Hz with Vsync on shouldn't give you input lag? Unless Vsync isn't capping fps to 143 like it did for me in L4D.

Also there's CSGO tick rate to consider and what is the ideal frame rate to match. I suppose you know exactly how much you need from experience and feel. If nothing i've said helps then maybe try your monitor elsewhere on different hardware to see if it is your monitor, else, 300Hz~ monitor man :sneaky:
It is ips, my bad. But it is not a problem of a monitor, I have tryed my previous monotor and my friends monitor, and tearing was the same. Not even close to their smootheness