[SOLVED] Screen tearing on a 144hz monitor

Dec 27, 2019
My monitor is AOC G2460PF(freesync) 144hz,and my pc specs are
intel i5 9400f
gtx 1060 3gb
8 ram ddr4.
In pretty much every game i play, if my fps are higher than 144(for example i have 200 fps in CSGO) i get screen tearing and it is unpleasant.G-sync is also enabled.
When i activated v-sync,the screen tearing was gone,and the gameplay was smooth.But the problem is that v-sync,as you know,causes input lag,which is bad for competitive fps games.
I want to know if there is any fix to my problem.

Solution
Bottom line, you'd need a faster monitor like 240Hz. As Joe said, the difference is small. 144Hz is 6.95ms per frame, and 200Hz is 5ms per frame, so the difference is only 2 milliseconds! If you're going for the $3,000,000 Fortnight prize then get a better monitor, otherwise I would just use gsync/vsync.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
My monitor is AOC G2460PF(freesync) 144hz,and my pc specs are
intel i5 9400f
gtx 1060 3gb
8 ram ddr4.
In pretty much every game i play, if my fps are higher than 144(for example i have 200 fps in CSGO) i get screen tearing and it is unpleasant.G-sync is also enabled.
When i activated v-sync,the screen tearing was gone,and the gameplay was smooth.But the problem is that v-sync,as you know,causes input lag,which is bad for competitive fps games.
I want to know if there is any fix to my problem.

Do the NVidia drivers have a frame rate limiter feature? (sorry I'm on AMD and its been a while since I had NVidia)

With the AMD drivers there's a frame rate limiter (Framerate Target Control) that you can just set at say 144 (or 145 to be safe) and it will target that as the max. Check if NVidia has that ...

But ... if you cap your FPS at 144 in any method, you'll NOT benefit from the extra 56 FPS in input lag reduction you might get from playing at 200.

So in that respect, VSync also shouldn't be causing much input lag beyond the 144fps either, as long as its locking to 144, and not to like 120 or 60 or something. It causes "input lag" because it is essentially lowering your potential FPS to a much lower one that your monitor can handle - but at 144, as long as that is your FPS with vsync on (and not lower), would still allow "144FPS" input response ... but not 200.

GSync, will match the monitors refresh to the GPU (as far as it can) to get rid of tearing, but unless you can "overclock" your monitor 144 is the max you'll get out of that as well.

The question becomes "Can I get rid of tearing while still greatly exceeding the hz of my display?" -- the answer, as far as I know, is no.

So you either turn off all the fps smoothing features and put up with tearing, or you live with the ever so slight input lag of going from say 200FPS as you mentioned, to 144 FPS to match to your monitor ... I doubt there's even a noticeable difference, but I'm not that type of gamer ... (I prefer things looking nice :))

Disclaimer, I'm not one of those gamers who buys a $1200 2080ti, and plays with low quality and 720p monitor so I can get ten billion FPS in hopes I can "win" a game, so I have only knowledge and logic on the topic and not experience in the direct area of your question.

On a side topic ...
If you have a freesync monitor, is turning on gsync even a good idea? It doesn't seem like its working anyway ...

Dec 27, 2019
Do the NVidia drivers have a frame rate limiter feature? (sorry I'm on AMD and its been a while since I had NVidia)

With the AMD drivers there's a frame rate limiter (Framerate Target Control) that you can just set at say 144 (or 145 to be safe) and it will target that as the max. Check if NVidia has that ...

But ... if you cap your FPS at 144 in any method, you'll NOT benefit from the extra 56 FPS in input lag reduction you might get from playing at 200.

So in that respect, VSync also shouldn't be causing much input lag beyond the 144fps either, as long as its locking to 144, and not to like 120 or 60 or something. It causes "input lag" because it is essentially lowering your potential FPS to a much lower one that your monitor can handle - but at 144, as long as that is your FPS with vsync on (and not lower), would still allow "144FPS" input response ... but not 200.

GSync, will match the monitors refresh to the GPU (as far as it can) to get rid of tearing, but unless you can "overclock" your monitor 144 is the max you'll get out of that as well.

The question becomes "Can I get rid of tearing while still greatly exceeding the hz of my display?" -- the answer, as far as I know, is no.

So you either turn off all the fps smoothing features and put up with tearing, or you live with the ever so slight input lag of going from say 200FPS as you mentioned, to 144 FPS to match to your monitor ... I doubt there's even a noticeable difference, but I'm not that type of gamer ... (I prefer things looking nice :))

Disclaimer, I'm not one of those gamers who buys a $1200 2080ti, and plays with low quality and 720p monitor so I can get ten billion FPS in hopes I can "win" a game, so I have only knowledge and logic on the topic and not experience in the direct area of your question.

On a side topic ...
If you have a freesync monitor, is turning on gsync even a good idea? It doesn't seem like its working anyway ...
Thanks for your reply,i guess i

On a side topic ...
Thanks for your reply.
I know that i can't get rid of the stuttering for good,i want at least to reduce it while keeping my fps uncapped.But if that is not possible i can enable v-sync and play like that(if the input lag isn't that big as you said then it is ok).
And about g-sync:i saw lots of people who said that it can work even if i have a freesync monitor(and it dit for games in which i have fps lower then 144

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Thanks for your reply,i guess i

Thanks for your reply.
I know that i can't get rid of the stuttering for good,i want at least to reduce it while keeping my fps uncapped.But if that is not possible i can enable v-sync and play like that(if the input lag isn't that big as you said then it is ok).
And about g-sync:i saw lots of people who said that it can work even if i have a freesync monitor(and it dit for games in which i have fps lower then 144

Yeah sorry I couldn't give you the answer you wanted ... its just the way it is. I honestly do feel that vsync, considering the monitors HZ rating won't hurt much but you can try some tests yourself and observe how it feels to you as far as input goes. Not having distracting tearing on your screen might make up for it a bit.

Yes ok, gsync / freesync only kicks when FPS is lower than monitors hz rating - so that makes sense.

Just one thing to clarify ... you claimed "tearing" in your opening post but now say "stuttering" - in my world those are two quite different things ...

If you are getting actual "stuttering" then that might be a different type of problem, and perhaps it can be solved better in a different method.

Feel free to clarify that ...

Dec 27, 2019
Yeah sorry I couldn't give you the answer you wanted ... its just the way it is. I honestly do feel that vsync, considering the monitors HZ rating won't hurt much but you can try some tests yourself and observe how it feels to you as far as input goes. Not having distracting tearing on your screen might make up for it a bit.

Yes ok, gsync / freesync only kicks when FPS is lower than monitors hz rating - so that makes sense.

Just one thing to clarify ... you claimed "tearing" in your opening post but now say "stuttering" - in my world those are two quite different things ...

If you are getting actual "stuttering" then that might be a different type of problem, and perhaps it can be solved better in a different method.

Feel free to clarify that ...
My mistake,sorry.I was talking about screen tearing.Somehow the "stuttering"got in my mind and then i wrote it in the reply.

Bottom line, you'd need a faster monitor like 240Hz. As Joe said, the difference is small. 144Hz is 6.95ms per frame, and 200Hz is 5ms per frame, so the difference is only 2 milliseconds! If you're going for the $3,000,000 Fortnight prize then get a better monitor, otherwise I would just use gsync/vsync.

Reactions: joeblowsmynose
Solution