Screen Tearing on TV

maxland

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I run games with an AMD 7800 Series card. On my AOC monitor things look great. I run most games at High with no visible problems. However, connecting to my 50" TV, running at 60 Hz, I get severe tearing with some games. I recently played a few moments of L.A. Noire, just to get an idea what it looked like. On the TV there was severe tearing but not on the monitor.

I also get mild tearing when viewing movies from my computer to the TV. The connection between the 2 is an HDMI cable using VLC.

Is this something I have to learn to live with or is there some way I can improve this situation?

Thanks,
Burt

maxland

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I connect my computer to my monitor with an HDMI cable. Shouldn't the TV see the same as just another monitor? I tried disconnecting the monitor but it made no difference to the TV. Don't know why hdcp would come into play. My TV is supposed to be 60 hz just like the monitor.

maxland

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
TV is Panasonic. I ran the Benchmark in Thief. Average is 41 fps. Did not see any tearing. I also ran YouTube via a browser on the computer. Ran a walkthru of Need for Speed. while there was no detectable tearing, it did look like it was dropping frames. as compared to the monitor. I'll try running L.A. Noire again with vsync on.

maxland

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
In LA Noire, I turned off SSOC, whatever that is, and the tearing went away. I'm thinking this is the same as vsync? At any rate, looks like the problem is solved.

Thank you very much. You are a champion!