[SOLVED] Screen tearing when using fullscreen (AMD/Freesync)

Apr 28, 2021
For as long as I’ve had my computer I’ve been suffering from screen tearing at the bottom quarter of the screen whenever I go fullscreen in my games, though for some unknown reason I experience none when im in windowed mode. I use Freesync and my FPS is always in my Freesync range (48-75 hz) so in theory I shouldn’t experience any tearing. I’ve also tried to enable V sync and Enhanced sync but they don’t appear to be eliminating the tearing (I always make sure my FPS can reach above my refresh rate whenever i use V Sync, so no im not using it incorrectly)

Does anyone have a possible explanation or solution for my issue? Thanks in advance-

Solution
The SE2719HR only has HDMI FreeSync. I'm not aware of any Windowed/Fullscreen limitations to that (don't see why it would matter). Also seems strange that only the bottom quarter of the screen is exhibiting this issue. Makes me think its a driver issue. There's no way you're the only person in the world running an HDMI FreeSync only monitor in Fullscreen though....which would hint at something specifically with YOUR setup/settings.

I'd also agree that trying a different HDMI cable would be a good place to start.
Apr 28, 2021
My specs are:

Sapphire Pulse RX 580

Ryzen 5 2600

2 Sticks of 8 G DDR4 Ram (running at 3200 mhz)

Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite V2 Motherboard

My monitor is a Dell - SE2719HR

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Hmm, nothing striking comes to mind. I know that both of the FreeSync monitors I am using want DP connection, but see that this monitor doesn't have one. I am not sure and couldn't find anything that stated you had to be on a specific version + of HDMI cable, but might check that as the cheapest option.

Aside from that are you within a return window on the monitor? (and/or) Do you have any other monitor you can test with to eliminate the GPU as faulty?

The SE2719HR only has HDMI FreeSync. I'm not aware of any Windowed/Fullscreen limitations to that (don't see why it would matter). Also seems strange that only the bottom quarter of the screen is exhibiting this issue. Makes me think its a driver issue. There's no way you're the only person in the world running an HDMI FreeSync only monitor in Fullscreen though....which would hint at something specifically with YOUR setup/settings.

I'd also agree that trying a different HDMI cable would be a good place to start.

Solution