Question Screen Tearing

Apr 15, 2019
my monitor has both vga and dvi port. I am using a dvi to vga adapter from my gpu to monitor. and I suffer from screen tearing. so if I buy a dvi cable will it reduce my screen tearing?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
If input lag is that bad, then chances are you have a cheap monitor with really bad response times.
Couple that with input latency from V-Sync and that's what you get.

So you have a few options at this point.

1. Deal with the screen tear.
  2. Deal with the input lag.
  3. Get a monitor with lower response times and still use V-Sync but have it be more bearable.
  4. Get an adaptive sync monitor that works with your GPU.

Apr 15, 2019
If input lag is that bad, then chances are you have a cheap monitor with really bad response times.
Couple that with input latency from V-Sync and that's what you get.

So you have a few options at this point.

1. Deal with the screen tear.
  2. Deal with the input lag.
  3. Get a monitor with lower response times and still use V-Sync but have it be more bearable.
  4. Get an adaptive sync monitor that works with your GPU.
is this monitor bad? benq gw2255

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Ok I'll break it down for you.
The gpu at 60fps has a latency that renders at 16.6ms
Your Monitor has input latency of frames at 12ms.
It has G2G of 6ms.
Add anywhere from 20 to 40ms for Vsync (amount depends on the game and it's engine) and you start to get the picture.

To remove screen tearing and maintain input lag that rivals having Vsync off, you'll need adaptive sync.

But having a higher refresh rate monitor AND being able to run a game at higher frame rate match will reduce render time latency as well as screen tearing when Vsync is off. It won't remove screen tearing, but it will reduce its effects.

TRENDING THREADS