Question Screen tearing

May 21, 2019
So, I am facing a problem where all my games have screen tear if vsync is off and my my gpu has drops to 0% and stutter like crazy while gaming (old/new games doesn't matter) and is game breaking for me, tried everything I found on the Internet about this problem and nothing worked and I'm starting to think there is something wrong with my laptop. So in the future I plan to buy another laptop, but there is one thing I cannot understand and dooms me. Are you forced to play with screen tearing no matter what configuration it has either with 60,120 ,144 hz /1070, 1660ti,2060 or any other combination, and not being able to play with maximum fps it can get or activating vsync and being stuck at 60 fps.
Can someone make it clear for me? It is something mandatory to have screen tear nowadays because I don't remember in the past having this problem, games wouldn't screen tear at least from what I've played.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Might want to check temps and cpu/gpu frequencies that there's no overheating and throttling. Try Msi Afterburner while playing a game.

These days Gsync/Freesync helps input lag while Vsync is on. Vsync is used for it's ability to cap frame rate so fps doesn't go over the variable sync range. With Vsync off with a non Gsync/Freesync monitor/laptop screen, tearing can happen under or over the refresh rate as each frame isn't synced and can be meshed with another frame like say half of a magazine page stuck with another. On a 60Hz screen for example is optimal to have constant 60fps if possible but frames are usually all over the place so that's hard to avoid tear unless you turn Vsync on or cap fps if fps output is solid.

May 21, 2019
Thank you for your reply.

Everything is fine, temps are more than perfect cpu max 80C and gpu 67C while gaming. I use msi afterburner for a little overlcok +150 core +400 memory and throttlestop for - 150 mv. Even without the UV or msi overlcok, the problem persists. I have made an entire post here

boju

Titan
Ambassador
For a component like the cpu or gpu to drop activity to 0 usually means either heat or power. Since heat is fine, it's possible the gpu is losing power or the cpu isn't feeding it. Could be psu not sufficient enough for an overclock, could be Windows/Nvidia power plan settings vs laptop mains or battery.

The cpu prepares frames for the gpu to render so that's why i mentioned cpu.

May 21, 2019
Windows is set on performance power plan, and from nvidia prefer maximum performance. As I mentioned, even without the overclock on the video card, the problem persists. Even without the undervolt, even though I don't the problem here

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Didn't understand the last bit, "Even without the undervolt, even though I don't the problem here", don't have the problem if undervolt?

Look into setting a fixed pagefile size so Windows isn't constantly changing it's size.

Couple issues i see hardware wise is 8GB ram and 7200HDD. Windows consumes between 1.5~3GB, out of 8GB doesn't leave much for games. Also vram data flows in and out of ram so 8GB in modern games, pagefile tends to stretch out to the storage drive more creating larger pagefile. An SSD would help pagefile use of course but another 8GB ram would help more. Both would be an excellent combination however.

For now, tinker with the pagefile size. Make it a static size and try different maximum amounts.

Reactions: davew1860
May 21, 2019
What I meant is that even without undervolt applied, the problem still persists.

RAM usage never exceeds the 8 gb, max I saw was about 7.4. While playing games it stays at around 6,7 depends on the game.

My gpu is gtx 1050ti, vram was never a problem from what I've seen, the highest was 2.7gb used out of the 4 it has.

Can you be more specific about the last part
'' For now, tinker with the pagefile size. Make it a static size and try different maximum amounts.''? I don't really know what you mean here

boju

Titan
Ambassador
All ram is cached in Windows, i wouldn't go by how much is actually used in task manager. Actually can read what size memory is committed, how big is it? Look in task manager under memory tab for committed. Be a value of xx/xx.

Sorry, i thought, seeing in your other thread, editing the registry and such you'd search how to change pagefile size. There are numerous guides how to do it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Afterburner reads memory/committed same way task manager does. As i said Windows can consume a couple of gigs, that's memory you won't get allocated to games. Committed shows how much ram and pagefile is used.

Last edited:
May 21, 2019
Ok nvm, the values didn't save the first time so I changed it again this time to 15000 MB from 6400MB. I would like to say that after 5 month of thinking that my laptop is broken, the issue is finally solved thanks to you boju. I just can't thank you enough for sparing me the fortune of buying a new laptop.
All the dips are gone, stuttering is gone, every game runs flawlessly.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ohh ok, yeah committed in your picture showing 14.1GB would make sense. Having pagefile set lower especially with 8GB ram would make the system unresponsive when it got to that point as the system would struggle to rearrange memory or pagefile to fit new data.

Glad it worked out.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe in future could upgrade it to an SSD and more ram. Would certainly make a big difference.

Storage specs
torage options
  • HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide
  • M.2 SSD / PCle NVMe, PCle 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s
System supports M.2 SSD and 2.5" HDD at same time

Ram, and Pcie Nvme from Crucial upto 1TB.
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/legion-y530

People have had trouble getting M2 sata SSDs to run larger than 500GB, the Pcie version of M2 is fine. If interested keep to what Crucial recommends.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming...egion-Y530-M-2-SSD-Compatibility/ta-p/4186964

---

Advantages if Windows is installed on the SSD is quicker driver access for applications/games, loading, overall performance increase and shock resistant because no moving parts.

If maybe interested in future, there is a Windows 10 clean install guide in the Windows 10 section here. It's quite easy to do.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome.

When you're ready to install Win10 on the ssd it would be a good idea to disconnect the hdd prior to prevent the boot loader possibly being installed on it. Windows 10 has a habit of doing that and if you decide to remove the hdd one day to replace / transfer files or if it unexpectedly dies, being unawares, there's a good chance you'll be greated with an unfriendly boot error.