Question Screen turned green on new GPU, normal?

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
I bought this RX 580 Red Devil, just hooked it onto my PC. So as I was looking for the driver online, the monitor switched to this weird green screen, but it did not freeze. I believe the GPU was still on low resolution, then I heard that "new device connected" sound like you know when you connect like a USB to your PC? That's when the GPU or monitor switches over to the higher resolution, then that's when it turned green. So is this kind of normal glitches sometime for detecting new GPU? I rebooted the PC and installed the GPU driver and everything's been great. Or the ultimate question is: defected GPU?

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
If "everything has been great".....I think you are probably fine.

I would use it and see what happens.

....but a green screen is pretty typical for a failing GPU.

I had an RTX 2080 Ti that failed to a green screen back in November.

....and I've had others fail to a green screen.

BUT.....they never worked again after.

....and I've seen some pretty crazy screens...including green ones....when the driver is being installed but usually those screens only last a second or two.

jaymes2015

Honorable
Nov 29, 2015
Yeah it’s possible of anything. I do have a good brand 4k hdmi cable though and a 34wk500-p, just had the monitor 2 months ago. No signs of monitor errors since.

I was still able to move the mouse and all when the green screen occurred and restarted the PC then I rebooted rightaway so not sure if the green screen would freeze the PC.

I stressed test the gpu online, left the PC on the whole night and ran Fortnite and nothing happened so far. Maybe i’ll install the GPU on a different PC to see if the green screen shows up or not. Yeah I just like to hear you guys experience on this green screen error.

Oct 13, 2020
Yeah it’s possible of anything. I do have a good brand 4k hdmi cable though and a 34wk500-p, just had the monitor 2 months ago. No signs of monitor errors since.

I was still able to move the mouse and all when the green screen occurred and restarted the PC then I rebooted rightaway so not sure if the green screen would freeze the PC.

I stressed test the gpu online, left the PC on the whole night and ran Fortnite and nothing happened so far. Maybe i’ll install the GPU on a different PC to see if the green screen shows up or not. Yeah I just like to hear you guys experience on this green screen error.
Hi just wondering did you manage to figure out what the issue was? I’m having a similar problem now